Pretty Red Wing's Pretty Amtrak Depot (PICS)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverviewer

Train Attendant
While in Red Wing, Minnesota back in June, I took these shots in and around the RDW depot with the iPhone 6S I'd just acquired. (Sorry if things are a little blurry here and there as a result.)

It's one of two old railroad depot buildings in town...the other, the former Milwaukee Road station a couple blocks away, was converted into a Hardee's restaurant in the early '80s, then into a Caribou Coffee place about a dozen years ago.

Railroad memorabilia in both old depot is from a local railroad enthusiast's collection--I can't remember his name.

RDW's building is shared by the local Arts Association (who also has gallery space there) and visitors bureau. Otherwise, it's unstaffed by Amtrak.

While there, I also shot a video of the #8 EB arriving, discharging and boarding passengers (double spot)...but, as 282.5 MB, it's a little big to post here.

Neverless....enjoy!

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure the Hardies/whatever isn't the former Chicago Great Western depot? I suspect the current Amtrak station belonged to the Milwaukee road.

Are you sure the Hardies/whatever isn't the former Chicago Great Western depot? I suspect the current Amtrak station belonged to the Milwaukee road.
I believe it's the other way around...i used to live in Red Wing, and was there when the Hardee's opened in the old Milwaukee Road depot.

I believe it's the other way around...i used to live in Red Wing, and was there when the Hardee's opened in the old Milwaukee Road depot.
My wife is from just across the river and I've been through RW many times and boarded the EB several times. I would have guessed the Hardees was Chicago Northwestern (perhaps they gobbled up CGW), so I googled it. According to Wikipedia "The Chicago Great Western Depot at 726 East Main Street in Red Wing, in the U.S. State of Minnesota, is a former railroad station listed on the National Register of Historic Places."

Strangely enough, just below the Wikipedia link is "Images for chicago great western red wing depot". One of the images is clearly the former station in question and one the current Amtrak station.

Back