New Orleans in a Day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusTrain

Train Attendant
OK, we are coming in to New Orleans on the SL on a Sunday night & leaving on the Crescent on a Tuesday morning...so that gives us one day to see New Orleans! Our hotel is downtown & we are in good shape/able to walk....but need to stay budget minded...

With those parameters, anyone want to give us "must-see/do" ideas? THANKS! :)

Have visited that town twice, for a total of 8 days. I would guess we have seen maybe half of what I would like to see. On my last visit one of my favorites was the warehouse where they store the mardi gras floats. Have been told it has moved since then, so I don't have an address, but it was a quick hour highlight for me.

Please Google up the New Orleans threads here on AU, there's tons of great info!

But must sees include riding the Street Cars( get a day pass) ,taking the Free Ferry across the River to Algiers,Cafe DuMonde,the French Market and a walk down Bourbon Street after dark( but don't go in any of the clip joints there!)

There's a million places to eat depending on what you like, from street food to Break the Bank Expensive,( I like Coops on Decatur by the Market, Amtrak Crews and Locals go there). If you want a worthwhile splurge, "Commanders Palace" in the Garden District is World Class!( go for Lunch, much less expensive, business casual dress is OK, @ Dinner a Jacket and Dockers will work, it's Worth it!) )

Last edited by a moderator:
For me...

Buy a pass for the streetcars. The St. Charles Line (the green streetcars) has the original Thomas Pearly Cars still, and offers some great scenery. Several nice restaurants along the St. Charles line as well.

Cafe du Monde is a must do for me as well. Fried french doughnuts and coffee is pretty much all they have (plus juice and coke) but that's all you need right?

If you are a fan of Chef Emeril, he has several restaurants in town. I ate at Nola once at the "Chef's Table" - sure I splurged, but it was totally worth it!

World War II museum is a worthwhile place to spend much of that day.

Dinner or Lunchtime Jazz cruises on the steamboat Natchez are also on my must-do list.

Cafe Maspero on Decatur street near the steamboat landing was recommended to me by a local; prices are reasonable and portions are huge.

Well, you have to walk around Vieux Carre for awhile, for the architecture if nothing else, and think about Tennessee Williams. :) I think the edges are more interesting than the main drags like Bourbon St. Beyond Frenchman St. is Faubourg Marigny [as is Bywater which is the next neighborhood over] which is also an interesting walkable neighborhood. From there you could walk up Esplanade [also bus available] all the way to City Park and take the Canal St streetcar back. Around Esplanade up near the racetrack are several well-known good restaurants, Cafe Degas and Liuzza's by the Track among them. There is also St. Louis Cemetery #3 to explore up there near City Park. If there happens to be horse races that's a fun thing to do too. Parkway Bakery and Tavern is a few blocks away on Bayou St. John and it has OUTSTANDING po'boys, shrimp my favorite. This is probably my favorite neighborhood. You can take the free ferry across the river to Algiers - that r/t takes awhile and there's not much on the other side - the Mardi Gras museum mentioned above used to be over there. I have done all these things on various visits and enjoyed them all - and, of course, they are all cheap! :hi:

On my last visit one of my favorites was the warehouse where they store the mardi gras floats. Have been told it has moved since then, so I don't have an address, but it was a quick hour highlight for me.
The place you're referring to is (or was) called Mardi Gras World.

-----------------------

Having been to New Orleans more times than I'm able to count sober my favorite things to do are walk around neighborhoods. If the OP feels so inclined I enjoy walking down St. Charles Avenue toward the river bend and take the streetcar back. If ya don't feel like taking the streetcar back the return can always be made down Magazine Street which has some nice little shops and restaurants.

WOW! I'm excited! Great ideas!

THANK YOU!

But.....Bob Dylan, I don't know what a "clip joint" is! How will I know not to go in?! Haha

THANK YOU, EVERYONE!

Back