New Viewliner II Baggage / Dorm Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Larry Kidd

I have yet to see how many rooms are in the new baggage/dorm cars. How many do they sleep?

I would guess 6-8. Six is about the max I've seen for decent beds in a train car compartment, if you're really squeezing them in, you could get 8. Mind you the rooms in the Bag/Dorm are for staff, not passengers , so they can pile in a few more in a dorm then in a normal room.

That all being said, this is presuming that the Dorm is separate rooms (makes sense, M-F, etc) if it's one (or two) big rooms, then the number would go up. They could also just use standard roomettes, essentially we don't know. All we can do is make guesses. I think I can be safe in saying that it'll be 4 or more.

RailPlan, the folks making the interiors, don't show anything about the dorms on their website: http://www.railplan.com/caf---amtrak-viewliner-ii.html

peter

I have yet to see how many rooms are in the new baggage/dorm cars. How many do they sleep?
IIRC, the bag-dorm cars will have 9 roomettes. (Been a while since the bag-dorm configuration was last discussed). There will only be 10 bag-dorm cars in the fleet, so it is likely that bag-dorms will be used only on the Cardinal and LSL. On the LSL, the on-board staff will occupy all the available roomettes. The Cardinal has a smaller OBS, so the Cardinal is likely to make a couple of the bag-dorm roomettes available for revenue sale.

Do they really need 9 rooms? The SCA each have their own room in the car itself, Are the Coach attendants suppose to remain in the coaches for safety, etc.? So basically it is the Food Service staff that needs the rooms?

Nope, every OBS Crew member has their own room and are guaranteed a certain amount of sleep each night.

During the SCAs and TAs downtime, the Conductors monitor the Train. ( the Conductors Main Responsibility is the Safety of the people aboard and the Safe Operation of the Train. )

Are these the standard Viewliner II roomettes? Could they sleep two, even if current union rules don't allow two.

Are there Viewliner II toilet rooms? A Viewliner I/II shower?

Do they have the coffee stand at one end? I've travelled in Trans/Dorm on SL trains, but VL Bag dorm is new so I'm curious. Wonder if they'll put a bike rack in the smaller baggage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back