Sunset #1 & 2 have interesting detour

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the Amtrak loco engineers will not know the signals, etc, on such diversions. Do they have to learn the possible diversions anyway? Here in the UK, if a train driver has not "signed off" that he is competent on a particular route, an additional driver with the route knowledge is put in the cab to guide, known as a pilot.

I imagine these other pilot engineers, if used on USA diversions, can only come from the freight companies?

Ed.

(We call engineers train drivers.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the Amtrak loco engineers will not know the signals, etc, on such diversions. Do they have to learn the possible diversions anyway? Here in the UK, if a train driver has not "signed off" that he is competent on a particular route, an additional driver with the route knowledge is put in the cab to guide, known as a pilot.

I imagine these other pilot engineers, if used on USA diversions, can only come from the freight companies?

Ed.

Yes, freight engineers are used as pilots on detoured Amtrak trains.

Ed.

Yes, freight engineers are used as pilots on detoured Amtrak trains.
Generally true, but there are Amtrak T&E Crews that are qualified on re-routes such as those that the Eagle uses in Texas, Arkansas, Missouri and Illinois!

I'm pretty sure there are other routes for Amtrak trains that also have qualified T&E Crews that don't need Pilots unless using a Freight engine!

Back