Chicago Layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wjh2

Train Attendant
I know this topic has been beaten to death at times, but I need to ask some things. I arrive in Chicago on the Capitol Limited on July 14 and depart that afternoon on the Southwest Chief.

Assuming the Cap is on time or close to it I am going to the Sky Deck in the Willis Tower. How long are the lines for it and how long does it usually take?

Also, I am looking to try a piece Chicago deep dish pizza. I just want one slice not an entire pie, even though I'm sure I can't have just one. Is there a place nearby that just sells a single slice?

Beggars Pizza is pretty much across the street from Union Station (310 S Clinton) and they sell pizza by the slice (both deep dish and not). I had a slice of "regular" pizza during my last visit and it was pretty good. The beer selection was pretty good also. :)

As for the SkyDeck you can by advance tickets, I think, and have a shorter line. Hard to tell how long the lines will be.

First there's a security line, then the ticket line, then a line that weaves through exhibits to a room where they show a movie and then you get on the elevators up.

I've skipped the movie by walking down to the front of the room and out the door on the left to the elevators. I think the advance tickets lets you skip some of these lines, but not sure because I've never spent the extra money on them.

Once you're upstairs, take your time - but there could be lines to step out onto a deck, so I'd do that first then browse if you want. The will be a line for the elevators down, but probably not too long.

There's a gift shop at the top and a bigger one when you go downstairs and exit the elevators.

MSA (Museum of Science and Industry) is awesome,,, don't miss the original zeyphyr in the lobby and an awesome model rail layout! They have really classed up the U505 and I think you can buy advance tickets at their website. It's not a hop and a skip from Union Station so I would definitely overnight. I try to stop every

Also check out the Foucault pendulum at the Museum of Science and Industry.

When I visited the museum, I took Metra to the 55th - 56th - 57th Street Station and walked the few blocks. In decent weather, I would do it again.

I agree with Beggars Pizza, it will not let you down.

I found out by asking a maintenance guy at the station "where do you go to eat". He looked around and said "I am told to tell you about all the places in the station, but we go to Beggars when we want something good".

Jim

I found out by asking a maintenance guy at the station "where do you go to eat". He looked around and said "I am told to tell you about all the places in the station, but we go to Beggars when we want something good".

Jim
That is funny. I found out about Beggars through an employee at Union Station also. :)

Jim
That is funny. I found out about Beggars through an employee at Union Station also. :)
Maybe the employee is a family member of the owners of Beggars. :eek: :p

If the weather is foggy or cloudy, going to the skydeck will be like looking out of a frosted glass window - so plan on a alternate.

There's a La Quinta and a Hyatt near the Museum of Science and Industry, the Hyatt is across the street the 51st-53rd MED station (53rd Hyde Park in their nomenclature). The Number 10 bus is an express directly to the doors of the Museum from the loop in addition to the MED trains and #6 express bus across the street from it.

Also check out the Foucault pendulum at the Museum of Science and Industry.

When I visited the museum, I took Metra to the 55th - 56th - 57th Street Station and walked the few blocks. In decent weather, I would do it again.
The coal mine exhibit there is also pretty cool.......but everything there is pretty cool.

Last year I arrived on the CZ and stayed a couple days in Chicago just off Michigan Ave. I'm not a bus rider but found number 10 bus an easy way to get to the museum and back. I would do again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back