This is too funny! Guy goes to wrong Las Vegas.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I asked the guard for a larger, more detailed map.
Huh?! Methinks most of his problems were due to the fact that he might have partied a bit too much before getting to the Vegas he thought he was going to...

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with RSG. I stayed two nights last fall in Las Vegas, New Mexico last October. It is a town with some character, but worlds away from the better known city in Nevada.

Too much partying, for sure, but it's also due in some way to Europeans and their shaky grasp of US distances and geography. Heard many stories of first time visitors arriving in NYC and renting a car to drive to California, thinking it would be half-a-day's journey or so, at most.

Plus not too sure why he was disappointed with the Las Vegas he ended up in. He was able to continue his drinking, almost got into a fight, was offered someone's sister for a date, and was offered cocaine. Plus if he hadn't published his story for the world to read, it would have stayed in Las Vegas (NM).

Too much partying, for sure, but it's also due in some way to Europeans and their shaky grasp of US distances and geography. Heard many stories of first time visitors arriving in NYC and renting a car to drive to California, thinking it would be half-a-day's journey or so, at most.

Plus not too sure why he was disappointed with the Las Vegas he ended up in. He was able to continue his drinking, almost got into a fight, was offered someone's sister for a date, and was offered cocaine. Plus if he hadn't published his story for the world to read, it would have stayed in Las Vegas (NM).
Yea, he did manage to make the most of his night in Vegas!

But, he didn't get to see Britney Spears or Celine Dion. No party is complete without seeing them in concert...unless you're going to Margaritaville. ;)

It could have been alot worse for him, this couple booked flights to Las Vegas from Birmingham, England, however ended up buying tickets from Birimingham Alabama to Las Vegas instead and thought they were getting a bargain until this turned up at the airport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-36150328

End up ok for them mind as Virgin Holidays stepped in and paid for a five night Holiday for them.

But, he didn't get to see Britney Spears or Celine Dion.
LOL Two years ago, I was in the new Las Vegas (arriving & departing via Amtrak and its connector service) and walking through Caesars Palace. I noticed that all these people were entering through multiple doors into a wing of the building and since it was about 6 PM, I thought it was a seating for a high-end buffet or something. It wasn’t until I passed by a poster display that I realized that was where The Colosseum was and everyone I saw was entering for CD's first performance of the night (or maybe she was only doing one performance, I don’t recall). Anyway, the closest I got to her greatness was the myriad items for sale in the next door gift shop (of which I only took pictures).

It could have been alot worse for him, this couple booked flights to Las Vegas from Birmingham, England, however ended up buying tickets from Birimingham Alabama to Las Vegas instead and thought they were getting a bargain until this turned up at the airport.

End up ok for them mind as Virgin Holidays stepped in and paid for a five night Holiday for them.
I remember hearing about that when it happened; unfortunately Virgin Holidays only gave them a holiday within the UK. (It was mentioned that their airfare was fully non-refundable, so they were apparently out the complete cost of their original tickets.)

I remember hearing about that when it happened; unfortunately Virgin Holidays only gave them a holiday within the UK. (It was mentioned that their airfare was fully non-refundable, so they were apparently out the complete cost of their original tickets.)
At first I wondered how someone could make such an absurd mistake but as I read further it began to remind me of an ex-girlfriend. Working together beforehand would have helped a lot more than crying afterward. Surprises are fine for small things but big decisions like international trips should be handled maturely like an adult. Gives me an idea for a new thread though.

(1) It seems like there's a story about this every few years (and I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one person who had booked a ticket to the "correct" Las Vegas only to get confused and hop off the train at the "wrong" one).

(2) On the "Birmingham error", I nearly made a similar screwup for this coming weekend...I was poking around at tickets to go PHF-IND/IND-ORF and, due to some punching around nearly booked a ticket which would have had me do the last leg IND-ORD (hint: One of those two endpoints is in Virginia while the other is in Illinois). That was almost assuredly down to one part a typo and one part having looked at a bunch of tickets where ORD was an acceptable endpoint (since ORD/CHI and IND have a very special train connecting them). So...let's face it, while we can bang on about "check closely", this is the sort of thing that is a bit too easy to manage. And hey, the "Birmingham error" is probably less annoying in the long run than the "S****horpe problem".

Seeing Las Vegas simply means "the plains", I'm surprised there aren't many more places with that name.

Well, probably there are ...

My personal favorite mistaken destination story (from 2010):

A couple from Italy got a taste of Cape Breton hospitality Wednesday when they unexpectedly arrived in Sydney, Nova Scotia, instead of Sydney, Australia.
CBC News

There was a Grenada, Spain vs Grenada, Caribbean Island oops that made the news about a year ago. The Amtrak website has a warning when you go to book Las Vegas.

I wonder if anyone has ever booked a flight to Manhattan KS instead of Manhattan NY by mistake. The codes would be kind of hard to confuse, MHK vs. LGA, JFK or EWR.

It would be a cheap vacation. I just checked and cost of living is 59% less in Manhattan KS than Manhattan NY.

It's probably more of an issue than many would guess.

We've joked abou Vancouver. I've read about mix ups regarding San Jose, Costa Rica and San Jose, California. I suppose it's fortunate that Oakland (Michigan) County Airport doesn't have scheduled passenger service.

I wonder if anyone has ever booked a flight to Manhattan KS instead of Manhattan NY by mistake. The codes would be kind of hard to confuse, MHK vs. LGA, JFK or EWR.

It would be a cheap vacation. I just checked and cost of living is 59% less in Manhattan KS than Manhattan NY.
Thought about that, but Manhattan, NY has no passenger airport. Almost anyone thinking of traveling there thinks of New York City. There is a hoax organization that claimed an airport would be placed where Central Park currently is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Airport_Foundation

http://manhattanairport.org

That's absolutely terrific BCL. I'm going to have a bench dedicated in my name at the new Manhattan Airport!

Actually Manhattan does have direct air service if you include helicopters. There is a heliport on the East River at the foot of Wall St., and there was also service once from the roof of the Pan Am building, but THAT was an unmitigated disaster.

On my Coast Starlight a bit over a week ago, a couple heading to Vancouver BC were surprised when they saw their luggage sitting on the platform at Vancouver Washington as the train pulled out. They were understandably not happy.

The Vancouver situation is a known issue for Amtrak since, on top of everything else, IIRC trains 701 and 710 (one going north, one going south) are the early morning departures for VAN/VAC, are on neighboring tracks, and...well, suffice it to say that the crews do their best to make sure nobody gets mixed up but it still happens on those trains since it's early.

In the UK, there is a neighborhood in east London called Stratford, and apparently sometimes tourists end up there looking for the birthplace of William Shakespeare, which was Stratford upon Avon and is a totally different place.

Another mix up is one of London's mainline terminus stations which is called Liverpool Street, which sometimes gets confused with Liverpool's main station, called Liverpool Lime Street.

True story: Back in the 70s an Air Force F-4 Pilot told his Yankee Weps/Nav Operator to Code in a Flight Path from Homestead,AFB ( Florida) to Austin on a Weekend joy ride to his Home base. ( Bergstrom AFB, now Austin Bergstrom Intl.)

He complied, they blasted off and they cruised @ 35,000 feet across the Country only to have the Pilot realize they were slightly off course when he saw Lake Michigan and Chicago approaching.

The Yankee had keyed in the Co-ordinates for Austin, Minnesota!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back