Pullman Rail Journeys Lives!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VentureForth

Engineer
They are taking reservations from Chicago to the Kentucky Derby next month.

On a different note, the observer car from the late American Orient Express was sold to Norfolk Southern where it was overhauled, repainted and given to their last CEO as a retirement gift.

They are taking reservations from Chicago to the Kentucky Derby next month. On a different note, the observer car from the late American Orient Express was sold to Norfolk Southern where it was overhauled, repainted and given to their last CEO as a retirement gift.
I wonder what Amtrak will give to Boardman when he retires.

Ahh, the New York! of course that would be the one to be sold away from Xantera.

It's EX New York Central Sandy Creek built for the 20th Century Limited. It's a good car and NS did a great job at rebuilding it. The interior is amazing.

They are taking reservations from Chicago to the Kentucky Derby next month.

On a different note, the observer car from the late American Orient Express was sold to Norfolk Southern where it was overhauled, repainted and given to their last CEO as a retirement gift.
It "lives" in terms of doing the occasional (and very expensive) excursion package. But the scheduled service, to New Orleans, went out with a whimper.

My thoughts (I rode the Pullman City of New Orleans service once on one of the "Sales" and I've ridden the Hoosier State since),

The City of New Orleans was both a test, and a way to prove that it can be done. The Hoosier State accomplishes the same thing, on the state of Indiana's dime. Iowa Pacific clearly wants to make their mark on passenger rail, slowly but surely. The regularly scheduled City of New Orleans was a way for Iowa Pacific to say "yes, we know what needs to be done, and how to do it. see? we run this train on a regular schedule and provide all of theses services."

Now, IP can say the same thing about the Hoosier State.

From someone close to IP I can say the future is bleak. And to watch them carefully.
Iowa Pacific as a whole?
I would guess that a pivot to their freight service would be quite bleak for their passenger operations.
Could you re-phrase that, please? It's not clear to me what you're trying to say.
I read it as the money is now invested in their freight service.

Iowa Pacific has always invested in freight. I don't think any of their freight services rely on coal, so I don't think they are in any trouble.

Iowa Pacific has always invested in freight. I don't think any of their freight services rely on coal, so I don't think they are in any trouble.
Last I heard, all freight sectors are hurting to some degree. If that has changed then there is great news for rail as a whole, but if not then the short lines are the canary in the coal mine.

Back