Private cars based in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaboard92

Engineer
Hello all. I'm planning a Christmas train in the Midwest. Does anyone know which Private cars are based in Chicago or are their frequently enough that we could call Chicago the base

A lot of cars seem to pass through, on journeys elsewhere, including the friends of 261 stuff, various domes. Of course, Iowa Pacific has a base of cars here.

If you're coming to Chicago and setting up shop for any period of time, let me know, please. I'd live to come down to the station and say hi. Always enjoy meeting AU members in person.

Friends of 261 in Minniapolis has a whole fleet of various styles, matching consist.

Their website has lots of info on the various cars. They have coaches, lounges, 1 super dome, an office car, the "Cedar Rapids" tail car, and a baggage car with a wood floor that can be used for concessions, "dance car" etc.

Thank you for that. I would be game with meeting you too. I'm setting up shop for a few months off and on in Northern Indiana. Then I'll be moving office I believe to Niles again off and on. Again mostly me flying or amtrak from the Carolina's. Coming for board meetings. But I'm game to meet up

Good luck! If AAPRCO and Iowa Pacific have trouble working with host railroads I can't imagine an individual or new company. But if you can succeed you will learn a lot and have some amazing stories to tell!

So far my shortline partner seems willing to work. So I'm definitely thankful for that. And I'm actually not doing my private business up there. I'm with a steam restoration. Niles MI

Back