Points For Completing Survey

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
I just received an email offering 250 points for answering survey questions in the "SurveyPointsClub". It seems the application asks a lot of questions that I'm not sure I want to answer.

Has anyone else received this? What's your feeling about it?

I looked this over and I don't believe it's a scam. I think I know what it's all about.

I used to do this sort of thing, but for cash, not Amtrak points. Amtrak has apparently simply created a partnership with a company doing legitimate consumer research surveys, and you can earn points toward Amtrak travel (which is just as good as earning cash, if you're interested in traveling on Amtrak) whereas if you did this stuff outside the Amtrak arrangement (not necessarily with this company, not sure if they have programs that are not partnered with Amtrak or other companies) you'd be earning cash.

I see they are offering 250 points for joining. My guess (and this is only a guess) is that the points earned for surveys after that point are far fewer than 250. Anyway, I have not computed and have no idea if it's worth my, your, or anyone's time to fill out these surveys. When I used to do it, it became tedious and time-consuming and I was definitely working hard for what would amount to a low hourly wage. The surveys could be about anything - like what kind of orange juice you like, what aisles of the supermarket you walk through first, which ads are more appealing than other ads. Anything at all. I eventually quit because I think I was ruining my eyes by spending so much time on it, and the pay was painfully low. But hey, if you don't mind having your brain picked and the money (or reward in this case) is worth it to you - no harm!

I have not looked over the "pay" scale so I'm not commenting on that. I'm just guessing this is similar to what I already experienced. Usually, there is no "big pay" for this kind of thing. I like earning points, though, so I may consider this. What's a little more eye ruination, right? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't filled out the application yet. My objection is questions such as what is your race, do your own your home, your occupation. There are probably more, but that's as far as I looked.

BALtoNY, I also used to do surveys until one time someone called me in response to one. She rattled off a lot of info about me. I asked her where she got that from and she said it was all on the survey I had completed. I was shocked that I had actually given out so much about my wage range, age, marital status, etc., etc.,

Well, if you are that worried about identity theft or something, then don't do it. Personally, I believe we're all just warm bodies to these companies, and they want as many opinions from as many people as they can get. I tend to be a little trusting when it comes to legitimate-looking survey companies, who I believe are all about demographics and marketing. I don't think criminals would pay to get information (not worth the relatively high cost to them, considering that they are out to steal, not pay money for anything.) But anyway, if you want to impede access to your marital status, age, wage status, etc. by anyone outside your normal social sphere and necessary agencies, then better not to be typing that stuff all over the web.

I received the e-mail, as well. This caught my eye:

...your input will help to improve products and services you use every day. ...
It's not about Amtrak, it's about somebody mining Amtrak's frequent customer database in exchange for a few bucks. This is old-school mailing list crap. I'll pass.

I looked this over and I don't believe it's a scam. I think I know what it's all about.

I used to do this sort of thing, but for cash, not Amtrak points. Amtrak has apparently simply created a partnership with a company doing legitimate consumer research surveys, and you can earn points toward Amtrak travel (which is just as good as earning cash, if you're interested in traveling on Amtrak) whereas if you did this stuff outside the Amtrak arrangement (not necessarily with this company, not sure if they have programs that are not partnered with Amtrak or other companies) you'd be earning cash.

I see they are offering 250 points for joining. My guess (and this is only a guess) is that the points earned for surveys after that point are far fewer than 250. Anyway, I have not computed and have no idea if it's worth my, your, or anyone's time to fill out these surveys. When I used to do it, it became tedious and time-consuming and I was definitely working hard for what would amount to a low hourly wage. The surveys could be about anything - like what kind of orange juice you like, what aisles of the supermarket you walk through first, which ads are more appealing than other ads. Anything at all. I eventually quit because I think I was ruining my eyes by spending so much time on it, and the pay was painfully low. But hey, if you don't mind having your brain picked and the money (or reward in this case) is worth it to you - no harm!

I have not looked over the "pay" scale so I'm not commenting on that. I'm just guessing this is similar to what I already experienced. Usually, there is no "big pay" for this kind of thing. I like earning points, though, so I may consider this. What's a little more eye ruination, right? ;)
I agree. I have been a member of a survey taking site for years and get paid $3 in PayPal money (or cash, if I wish) for each one that I complete. I looked at the email my mom received (I've yet to receive one) and it looks legitimate. In my estimation, based on the signup bonus, you might get something like 25 AGR points (or less) per survey. I'm retired so I've got massive amounts of extra time on my hands, so I say what the heck, why not try it?

Also, regarding the points posting.....I'd assume the same 6-8 weeks processing time would apply similar to the shopping for points.

If you really need 250 points, just direct some regular purchase through the shopping mall and collect the points there. And keep some small semblance of privacy.

I signed up knowing what it is! If I get flooded with Spam e-mails and junk calls it's on me, but also being retired what the heck, its worth a try,!

And you can cancel once you're enrolled!

I signed up knowing what it is! If I get flooded with Spam e-mails and junk calls
The aforementioned survey company I belong to has never sent me spam nor do I get junk calls. Other companies I've done surveys for in the past (a dozen or so over the past ten years) have not sold my information to telemarketers. It's highly unlikely your privacy is at risk when you sign up for this but it's always a good idea to read the Terms of Service before signing up for something like this, just to make sure. Plus, yes, opting out is always an option.

As a Select member, the email said I'm eligible for 500 Guest Reward Points. Which if I get all 500 points for 1 survey is enough for me to give it a go. The questions are quite extensive and intrusive however. For some, I was allowed to not specify.

After completing the profile, the first survey had this multi-choice question as 1 of 3 medical focused questions. Yikes. Must have some drug and medical companies paying for the survey data. To be honest, I was tempted to check off of the medical conditions and prescriptions listed just for kicks, but that would likely lead to a bunch of spam emails plugging this or that drug.

Which of the following ailments do you suffer from? Please select all that apply.

• Androgenic Alopecia (Male or Female Pattern Baldness)
  • Cancer - with Bone Metastasis
  • Crohn's Disease
  • Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly)
  • Gum Disease
  • Nervousness
  • Pleurisy
  • Prefer not to state
  • None Of These Conditions

Update on my attempt with the Survey program. Waste of time as I was not able to complete a survey to qualify for the 500 points. Didn't have the right medical condition or plans to buy the right product or willing to download software, etc to qualify for a complete (and intrusive) survey.

Now off to delete and purge ALL cookies & the cache from my browser to clean out any crap the survey website put on my computer.

I'm a select member and I got the E Mail. I figure with the 100 point minimum history, this would be an easy way to get 500 points without spending anything. My survey focused on Sheetz.Wawa.7 11 and other convenience stores. A lot of questions,but it took me ten minutes and my 500 points posted immediately.

Got my 250 points as I qualified for a survey......five points for each survey I didn't. It took about eight tries to be accepted. This reminds me of one of the survey companies I used to belong to. It takes patience, something I have more of now than I did then. Also, I was pretty close on my earlier guess on how much each qualifying one is worth after the initial 250.......the invite in my inbox is worth 30 points. However, I was incorrect about the processing of the points....upon completion or non-qualification, the points are immediately deposited.

I suckered for this and got 5 points for a survey, but not the 250 points for registering.
When you qualify for a survey and complete it, you get the 250.
Well, I qualified for and completed a survey......and received 5 points for the survey but not the 250 for registering. Oh well, nothing is free, right?
Not sure what may have happened then....I got my 250 after six tries (not eight that I said earlier) and for each of those five failed attempts, I got 5 points for each. Plus I was able to qualify for another one worth 20 . All told, that was 295....more than I'll receive on a day trip I'm taking tomorrow to CHI.

If I wasn't already overloaded with AGR points I'd consider it. Unfortunately, I already have more points than I want; if I could get something other than AGR points for Amtrak travel I'd take them.

If I wasn't already overloaded with AGR points I'd consider it. Unfortunately, I already have more points than I want; if I could get something other than AGR points for Amtrak travel I'd take them.
I am more than willing to help a fellow AUer with a problem. As a favor to you and not asking any compensation from you for the favor, I'll let you provide a points bedroom round trip from GRV to NYP for me and my bride. I'll also agree to make the same offer in the future. :hi:

Back