Lake Shore Limited to Texas Eagle connection at Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ParanoidAndroid

OBS Chief
Would connecting from the #49 LSL to the #21 Texas Eagle be recommended in the winter? Though it is a "guaranteed connection" on Amtrak's website, it's only 4 hours at Chicago, and I would think there's a good chance of missing the Texas Eagle.

I would think, during the winter, the snow might be able to delay the LSL quite a bit . . .

Generally this is a easy connection even when the Lake Shore is Late into Chicago.

Of course "stuff" can happen on any route, and if track work is scheduled or there is a Meltdown like the one last year through the Mudwest, Amtrak has to come up with contingency plans since its a guaranteed connection.

Shanghai is on 49 right now, hoping to connect to 21. Due to weather, 49 left NYP over 5 hours late. I am not sure what will happen. No doubt, he will let me know.

I checked the Amtrak map, and #49 is 5 hours late still, and going into South Bend IN right now. ETA into Chicago is 2:14pm. So he will have to get on a bus to connect with #21, unless the Texas Eagle is also delayed for some reason. :(

Shanghai still does not know much. He was told by a telephone agent to go to Customer Relations in Chicago and they will give him his options. He will keep me posted. I believe that Tyler is with him now. He may know more.

Looks like Dick may be either spending the Night in Chicago on Amtrak's Dime and taking tomorrow's #21, (Roomettes available but Bedrooms are SOLD OUT) or possibly riding a Bus to STL chasing the Eagle depending on how many passengers are connecting from #49 to #21??

They usually won't hold the Eagle that long for the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Dick may be either spending the Night in Chicago on Amtrak's Dime and taking tomorrow's #21, (Roomettes available but Bedrooms are SOLD OUT) or possibly riding a Bus to STL chasing the Eagle depending on how many passengers are connecting from #49 to #21??

They usually won't hold the Eagle that long for the connection.
Last I heard, there were possibly 6 passengers connecting to 21. Dick seems to think he will be spending the night in Chicago tonight and taking 21 tomorrow.

49 got in 4h36min late, so 2:21p. All the connections appear to have been released. I guess since 49 was so late out of NY, Amtrak already planned the hotels for tonight. (EDIT: or they could've rerouted them on 3)

What happens when (a small number of) passengers miss an oddball connection in a smaller city? (ex. 29-48 at CLE, or 68-49 at SDY which would've happened yesterday if 49 were on time

49 got in 4h36min late, so 2:21p. All the connections appear to have been released. I guess since 49 was so late out of NY, Amtrak already planned the hotels for tonight.

What happens when (a small number of) passengers miss an oddball connection in a smaller city? (ex. 29-48 at CLE, or 68-49 at SDY which would've happened yesterday if 49 were on time)
I do not believe Amtrak guarantees any connection in CLE between the Cap and LSL? If you booked such a connection separately, you would need to find your own place to stay for the night/day and night in CLE

I do not believe Amtrak guarantees any connection in CLE between the Cap and LSL? If you booked such a connection separately, you would need to find your own place to stay for the night/day and night in CLE
They do. I know of a few people who have traveled from PGH to stations in upstate NY this way, and it's a valid connection in Arrow.

They do. I know of a few people who have traveled from PGH to stations in upstate NY this way, and it's a valid connection in Arrow.
I stand corrected. I tried a PGH to BUF a few years ago and it would not compute. But looks like you can do that today. In re; to previous question, there are plenty of interesting things to do in Cleveland if you miss your connection. R&R Hall, Science Center, Museum of Art. And you can even hop a ride on the RTA for a nice ride out to the airport. :)

I stand corrected. I tried a PGH to BUF a few years ago and it would not compute. But looks like you can do that today. In re; to previous question, there are plenty of interesting things to do in Cleveland if you miss your connection. R&R Hall, Science Center, Museum of Art. And you can even hop a ride on the RTA for a nice ride out to the airport. :)
Of course you get to CLE just before 3am on the 29...

Would connecting from the #49 LSL to the #21 Texas Eagle be recommended in the winter? Though it is a "guaranteed connection" on Amtrak's website, it's only 4 hours at Chicago, and I would think there's a good chance of missing the Texas Eagle.

I would think, during the winter, the snow might be able to delay the LSL quite a bit . . .
Despite the very late delays of the past several days due to extreme cold weather, #49 arrived in Chicago over 3 hours late only once from January 1 through February 12. #49 even arrived early 29 days out of 46. So the odds of making the connection are good. The chances of a major snowstorm or severe cold snaps will fade in a few weeks as we get into March. Link to Amtrak Status Archive Database for #49 arrivals at CHI from Jan 1 through February 14.

Does look like the Eagle left CHI on time at 1:45 CST and the Lake Shore arrived at 2:21 CST so they apparently did not hold 21. Hopefully a nice night in Chicago on Amtrak's dime.
Hopefully in Chicago proper this time. In Sept 2014 Amtrak hired a van to a cheap unbranded hotel along a highway about 20 miles west of Chicago.

According to Dick, he is in a hotel room that is a 20 minute cab ride from the station. The customer service desk was a mess, but they were second in line. Dick is booked on tomorrow's 21.

Of course you get to CLE just before 3am on the 29...
But if you miss the 48 you will have an entire day the next day to check out all these suggested places. :)

Dick & Tyler spent the night in Chicago. Tyler went to a Blackhawk hockey

game and this morning he is at the Shedd Aquarium for the day. He will return

home on the Capitol Limited this evening. I will go to Dallas on the Eagle this

afternoon.

49 got in 4h36min late, so 2:21p. All the connections appear to have been released. I guess since 49 was so late out of NY, Amtrak already planned the hotels for tonight. (EDIT: or they could've rerouted them on 3) What happens when (a small number of) passengers miss an oddball connection in a smaller city? (ex. 29-48 at CLE, or 68-49 at SDY which would've happened yesterday if 49 were on time
I can't say for those cities, but I was on 50 a few years ago to CVS to connect to 19. Due to a freight derailment and bustitution, I did not arrive until about 3 am - 6 hours after 19's departure. I was told to continue to WAS where they will give me a room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back