Video Camera

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
I booked a loop trip, for March, with my Guest Reward points when the new Guest Rewards new rules came out last fall. I've taken the trip before, from Cleveand to Los Angeles using the Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, and Sunset Limited to Los Angeles. Then on the return using the Southwest Chief and then the Lake Shore Limited.

In the last few weeks, I've watched several videos taken on the Southwest Chief that were shown on the internet. The videos were very good and seemed to be taken from cameras that were probably on window suction "tripods".

With what might be my last such loop trip, I want to video as much as I can during the trip. I have taken videos many times over the years in many trips but am wondering how the videos I watched were taken lately.

I am considering buying a "sports" video camera like GoPro but the wide angle lens does not seem good for what I want to see.

Does anyway know, or have they used one, of video cameras that are good, that can be attached to a window and get the good trip videos that are on the internet?

Better yet, what video camera and equipment would be a decent idea to take with me?

A couple of weeks ago, there was a discussion in the "Amtrak Fans" Facebook group on this subject...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmtrakFansGroup/

I posted several examples of using a GoPro including how I used their "jaws" clamp inside my bedroom. Regarding the GoPro, the default is ultra wide angle although several narrower fields of view may be selected (digital cropping). Also, the GoPro has no viewfinder unless you attach their LCD back to the camera. I use the GoPro app on my Galaxy S4 and via wifi, I can see what the camera sees, change settings and play back videos to the phone. With the app, you can also transfer videos (or still images) from the camera to the phone for later uploading, etc.

My latest trip I used a "point and shoot" Canon (Powershot G7x) which, although is primarily a still camera, does a pretty good job with video. I would recommend, shopping around for a suitable camera for your needs. By saying shopping around I mean, besides discussions such as right here, and various online reviews, I'd go to a brick and mortar store and get some hands-on with several cameras.

Good Luck

I've watched several videos taken on the Southwest Chief that were shown on the internet. The videos were very good and seemed to be taken from cameras that were probably on window suction "tripods". I am wondering how the videos I watched were taken lately. Does anyway know, or have they used one, of video cameras that are good, that can be attached to a window and get the good trip videos that are on the internet?
Can you link to a specific video you're aiming to match?

I've attached two images.

One is my GoPro mounted in the window of our sleeper bedroom July 2014 on the Coast Starlight.

The other is my GoPro mounted on the grab iron of our coach on the White Pass and Yukon Route.

Both photos from the same trip...Alaska cruise.

20140721_130251.jpg

20140716_080351.jpg

Back