Amtrak store

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erierail

Train Attendant
Are their any other stations with Amtrak stores? Sound kinda of neat.

would be cool if they sold a pin with the station names at every station or a keychain! Hey do they make a amtrack keychain? I collect them for my christmas tree.

In the Chicago Union Station store, there is a sign that says the station store is independent of or not affiliated with store.amtrak.com. Any idea why this would be the case, and why it would need to be emphasized?

In the Chicago Union Station store, there is a sign that says the station store is independent of or not affiliated with store.amtrak.com. Any idea why this would be the case, and why it would need to be emphasized?
The online store is run by Staples, not Amtrak.

Question for those who have shopped at the CUS Amtrak store......is the inventory any different than the Staples online store?

I'm hoping that either place supplies more route specific t-shirts at some time, i.e. SWC, SC and CS.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Staples store does not sell the TE shirts anymore. I'm glad I got mine when they did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for those who have shopped at the CUS Amtrak store......is the inventory any different than the Staples online store?

I'm hoping that either place supplies more route specific t-shirts at some time, i.e. SWC, SC and CS.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Staples store does not sell the TE shirts anymore. I'm glad I got mine when they did.
I was there last month. The inventory is quite similar to the website offerings.

Offhand, I remember seeing: Christmas ornaments, tote bags, "weekender" bags, t-shirts, hoodies, jackets/fleeces, calendars, posters, hats, pins, kid items, an Amtrak loco plushie (large enough to use as a neck pillow), mugs, and blankets.

The store in Chicago Union Station did not have shirts for the Southwest Chief nor the Coast Starlight when I was there. What is the third abbreviation that you specified?

I was there last month. The inventory is quite similar to the website offerings.

Offhand, I remember seeing: Christmas ornaments, tote bags, "weekender" bags, t-shirts, hoodies, jackets/fleeces, calendars, posters, hats, pins, kid items, an Amtrak loco plushie (large enough to use as a neck pillow), mugs, and blankets.
I've heard in the past that the Amtrak store was going to expand into the old Passenger Services space when they relocate. I'm planning a day trip to CUS late this month and maybe next month as well and on my agenda is to check it out for myself.

They do have a good selection at the store in CUS. I stopped by there on 01/03/16 while changing from the Chief to the Cap Ltd. In fact, I bought a nice Amtrak fleece jacket. ;-)

The store in Chicago Union Station did not have shirts for the Southwest Chief nor the Coast Starlight when I was there. What is the third abbreviation that you specified?
Edited: I'm not sure which abbreviation you mean.

I was at CUS in early November and the store wasn't there yet. I had to go upstairs for lunch in the food court and found a newsstand that had a bunch of t-shirts. I bought a cool, non-Amtrak black t-shirt with a Chicago insignia in the shape of a face with a boulder hat and cigar and on the sleeve it said "There is no such thing as the Mafia" (or something like that), with Al Capone's signature. I love the shirt but CUS has sorely needed to have the Amtrak shirts for the longest time. The newsstand at Portland Union Station has a nice selection and even on the CZ they schedule a smoke break at Colorado Springs where they sell t-shirts at the gift shop at their station. It would be nice to have them available in Los Angeles and other sizable stations either in an Amtrak store or a newsstand.

Coast Starlight
The three trains I mentioned that didn't have t-shirts were the Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief and Sunset Limited (I made a typo in calling it the SC). They have posters for those three and many others.

Capitol Corridor has a $10 plush toy sold in the cafe car. I was talking to a cafe attendant who wondered why it wasn't $5, with the rationale that it would sell much better and still be sold at a healthy profit.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/828/667/Capitol-Corridor-Cafe-Menu-111715.pdf

Capitol Corridor uses it in their promotional materials.

726606b25d0ac1d62bd34ee527d562b9.jpg

I stopped by while in Chicago. All in all it had some good offerings. As mentioned, there is some overlap with the online store, but the store in Chicago had some items that I have not seen online, like the Corelle mugs that used to be used in the dining cars and some patches. It also had some items that are no longer available online. For example, they had an HO Scale Anniversary P-42 - #66 the Phase II unit, which has not been in stock in the web store for some time.

Capitol Corridor has a $10 plush toy sold in the cafe car. I was talking to a cafe attendant who wondered why it wasn't $5, with the rationale that it would sell much better and still be sold at a healthy profit.https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/828/667/Capitol-Corridor-Cafe-Menu-111715.pdf

Capitol Corridor uses it in their promotional materials.
726606b25d0ac1d62bd34ee527d562b9.jpg
:eek:

I want one.
Only sold on the train. However, Capitol Corridor stuff is sold on Cafepress.

http://www.cafepress.com/capitolcorridor

tim49424:

Has the Zephyr or Chief started running through Colorado Springs???

You probably meant the Store in Grand Junction where the Zephyr stops? (and is owned by an AU member) Also the Amtrak staff make an announcement letting passengers know about the store.

tim49424:

Has the Zephyr or Chief started running through Colorado Springs???

You probably meant the Store in Grand Junction where the Zephyr stops? (and is owned by an AU member) Also the Amtrak staff make an announcement letting passengers know about the store.
Thanks for the correction. It indeed was GJ. I was unaware that an AU member owned it. I'm not sure why I said Colorado Springs, I knew better. I remember the announcement and made sure to check out the store. I bought my first CZ t-shirt there....and remember changing into it while in the Moffat Tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back