Best blanket for travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_babyb

Train Attendant
So were taking a long trip (green bay- dc) i know that mke to Chicago was really cold. I know that amtrack provided bedding but I'm always freezing. What blanket would you recommend? I'm looking for warm and compact.

I have a compact sleeping bag that compacts to about the size of a football. It's rated for maybe 50 deg F, but would be ideal for your situation. Other than that, maybe get a Snuggie?

I have a fantastic blanket that was given to me. The label says it came from Costco.

It weights nothing and folds up and zips to be about the size of a briefcase with a shoulder handle.

It's plastic of course and 2 layers. The inner layer is soft/fleecy and the outer layer is some kind of impermeable protective layer. It is unbelievably warm and has saved me on many Amtrak trips!

I'm kind of cheap and got a yard or two of comfy fabric...worked great for the 2 of us when we were in coach. Our problem is always being too warm.

Heating in sleeping cars (or coach) is so unpredictable that I find it better to travel with extra layers to WEAR (or not), rather than a blanket. Sweatpants and a fleece sweater can be useful layers of nightwear as well as possible daywear (depending on what you'll be doing on your trip).

Last edited by a moderator:
see we travel alot anyways so im always willing to buy new gear. i figured I could ask for extra blankets but im one of those "be prepared" type

I recommend a blanket that covers you. Make sure your toes aren't sticking out...unless you're one of those people that don't like their toes covered.

I'm kind of cheap and got a yard or two of comfy fabric...worked great for the 2 of us when we were in coach. Our problem is always being too warm.
Yup, for me, a 4x4 foot piece of cheap fuzzy fabric doubles as a towel if needed. and a blanket. And a wrapper for my other clothes in case I get caught in a rainstorm.

And, I can roll it up into a pillow.

When I travel in the winter with my daughter, she layers on hosiery under her pants and sweaters above. She especially likes Irish sweaters and hosiery. I am always very warm, her very cold.

I hate the AmBlankets. I'm a big guy and I feel like they don't cover me enough. Lately I've started to bring a twin size comforter, lightweight, bigger than the blanket and I'm always warm enough. I got mine from Amazon.

I hate the AmBlankets. I'm a big guy and I feel like they don't cover me enough. Lately I've started to bring a twin size comforter, lightweight, bigger than the blanket and I'm always warm enough. I got mine from Amazon.
I rarely need a blanket during the winter when Amtrak really cranks up the heat. In the summer when Amtrak turns on the icebox air conditioning I often find that Amtrak sheets and blankets are too thin and flimsy to be effective. I prefer to travel light and to combine an outbound train trip with a flight back (or vice versa) so carrying extra luggage isn't easy or desirable for me. Maybe it's time for me to take a look at a thin microfiber travel blanket.

I like both weight and warmth, so carry a 7 ft by 4 ft Navy blanket received from stepson as a Christmas gift. Works great in both sleepers and coach. Folds up well to fit in my suitcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back