70 Years of Trains & 15 of Classic Trains DVD's from Kalmbach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaz

Service Attendant
70 Years of Trains & 15 of Classic Trains DVD's from Kalmbach

Trainorders has a new thread (posted on both W & W sub-forums so with different sets of responses) asking whether the 70 year Trains DVD is worth it.

E thread

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3880740

W thread

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3880739

I responded with this on the W thread:

I bought the ($150) 70 years of Trains DVD. It was discounted back then $10-20 at Wig-Wag Trains (I guess you have to email for the price). I have not seem it on eBay.

I also got the $80 '15 years of Classic Trains' DVD (Actually I bought the 1st edition (10 years) then this year the 2nd edition (15 years): The 2nd edition was offered before publication for $25 off for buyers of the first).

The Trains & Classic DVD's are both great but as someone posted here they're 'clunky' --even on a PC! What's maddening is that Kalmback hasn't figured out a way for us to view them on mobile! I mean I almost refuse to do leisure reading on a PC/laptop any more. If you'r a reaearcher great but not a casural reader.

The DVD is installed on your PC as a DRM'd program. (an .exe) To read on my iPad I can use 'Splashtop' (installed on both my PC and iPad).. It allows me to see anything open on my PC then from my tablet I can then manipulate the various issues of Trains etc from my iPad. But it's still clunky and takes time to master the different moves. (Some of you may have other suggestions! than Spashtop?).

I oince saw several years of Trains (stripped from the DVD I presume?) on Usenet I'm relatively savvy about that stuff but not about removing the seemingly specialized DRM-DVD format used here so I can read my paid for mags in bed!.

Chaz

PS: I do keep an Official Guide or 2 on my iPad (in Google Play Books...a number are avail free) . No DRM there but somewhat slow!

PPS: A search at Amtrak Trains does not pull up a thread of the dvd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased the Trains Magazine DVD when it was released. The interface is very clunky, but it is a great resource. It's fun to scan back through the 1950's editions and see some of the issues back then.

The DVD has all issues through 2010. It's disappointing that Kalmbach has not offered annual supplements to keep the library current.

I purchased the Trains Magazine DVD when it was released. The interface is very clunky, but it is a great resource. It's fun to scan back through the 1950's editions and see some of the issues back then.

The DVD has all issues through 2010. It's disappointing that Kalmbach has not offered annual supplements to keep the library current.
I'll second this - though I rarely use it, I'd say the DVD is worth it (I didn't remember paying over $100 though). I wish they sold updates.

Back