I voted. Have you?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
12193371_10153677017477103_1034772159478587408_n.png

Yes, I know that elections aren't happening everywhere. Yes, rail might not be on the ballot. But when the time comes to ask your elected representatives to support passenger rail, your voice will be heard more loudly if you can say "I voted for you."

Its election day here in Texas but there are no candidates on the ballot, only Bond issues ( most will Fail in the current anti-spending climate)and Constitutional Ammendments, most of which are special interest items for politicians owners, er supporters.

Most will pass since less than 5% of the sheeple will bother to vote!

Hopefully 2016 will be a different story!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Washington, there are about 15 positions on the ballot involving candidates, at least on the ballot for my town. Those almost all involve minor positions (i. e. school board, hospital board, port board, etc. ) Of those only three are contested and of those only one involves more than local candidates. This is for our representative to our state legislature in our district. In Washington the top two vote getters in the primary run in the general election regardless of party. Our district is rural and Republican leaning. Thus this election for representative is a vote for the Republican of your choice. There are several statewide ballot measures, most of which involve keeping on the books several tax increases the state legislature imposed without going to the people of the state first. I imagine all these will be upheld. Oh,and to answer the question: yes, I voted. :)

I always vote, but his was one of the worst years in my area in recent memory. A couple of judicial elections with the candidates endorsed by both major parties, and a DA running for reelection unopposed. Thought I was in the old Soviet Union when I read the ballot.

No, I am not permitted to vote in the state of Virginia.

In order to register VA requires one's social security number and I demur.

That information is no business of theirs and I cannot believe that requirement would stand up in court if challenged.

I have voted in 4 other states in my life and never been asked for any information like that. The intent is obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did go out to vote today. There was just a school referendum, but I went out to vote anyways.

That information is no business of theirs and I cannot believe that requirement would stand up in court if challenged.

I have voted in 4 other states in my life and never been asked for any information like that. The intent is obvious.
I saw that when looking at the registration form online. Interesting that they require that. I can see some claimed usefulness in verifying identity (though I wouldn't be surprised if they had the information already), but it would seem simpler to just match it to state records whenever possible. I'm not sure how it works around the country, but in Minnesota you must put on your MN driver's license or ID card number, if you do not have that, you must enter in the last four digits of your social security number, and if you don't have either of those you must attest that you have neither of those.

We basically have a one-party city, but I voted anyway. (People are agitating to get a new local party going to provide some competition, since the Republicans are quite deservedly dead as a party here.)

The good news nationally is that the good guys won the PA Supreme Court election, which means that next time redistricting happens they'll probably have a fair redistricting rather than the current extreme gerrymander.

Come 2022 this is almost certain to lead to huge increases in support for passenger rail in the legislature.

The current gerrymander specifically drowns out urban votes by carefully slicing as many districts as possible to be majority rural; chopping a city in pieces in order to swamp the votes of each piece with rural areas. With a fair redistricting, the people dwelling in cities other than the very largest will start getting real representation in the legislature. And at that point we might finally get service back to some of Allentown, Bethelehem, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, State College, etc. etc...

We basically have a one-party city, but I voted anyway. (People are agitating to get a new local party going to provide some competition, since the Republicans are quite deservedly dead as a party here.)

The good news nationally is that the good guys won the PA Supreme Court election, which means that next time redistricting happens they'll probably have a fair redistricting rather than the current extreme gerrymander.

Come 2022 this is almost certain to lead to huge increases in support for passenger rail in the legislature.

The current gerrymander specifically drowns out urban votes by carefully slicing as many districts as possible to be majority rural; chopping a city in pieces in order to swamp the votes of each piece with rural areas. With a fair redistricting, the people dwelling in cities other than the very largest will start getting real representation in the legislature. And at that point we might finally get service back to some of Allentown, Bethelehem, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, State College, etc. etc...
Grew up in Wilkes Barre, got my master's degree from Penn State. Train service to both would be certainly welcome:)

What would the Wilkes Barre route be? How about the Penn State route, rerouting HAR to PGH through State College?

I don't even want to think about routes yet; there are lots of possible routes.

Basically, the important thing is to get real representation in the PA legislature for all of those cities -- at that point, PA can start having serious talks about how to serve all of them.

No, I am not permitted to vote in the state of Virginia.

Sounds like a typical Republican tactic to cut down on voting. You shouldn't let them get away with that.

Yep, the T-publicans have passed draconian supress the vote laws in several states,( all Republican dominated) non more Un-Constitutional than the one here in Texas.

The good news is the Supremes have taken on this case, and hopefully will declare it null and void and the slime pushing crap like this will crawl back under the rocks where they came from!

Back