Dining car lunch service removed from #30

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
Maybe this is old news or discussed before. If so I'm sorry for bringing it up again.

We rode #30 into WAS the other day and was informed onboard by our sleeper attendant after asking about the lunch service times that they are no longer serving lunch on #30. However breakfast service has been extended to Martinsburg. The CL menu's on board still has the express lunch listed. When we rode #30 back in April they were still serving lunch up to Harpers Ferry. Just thought I would share this information with everyone

Maybe this is old news or discussed before. If so I'm sorry for bringing it up again.

We rode #30 into WAS the other day and was informed onboard by our sleeper attendant after asking about the lunch service times that they are no longer serving lunch on #30. However breakfast service has been extended to Martinsburg. The CL menu's on board still has the express lunch listed. When we rode #30 back in April they were still serving lunch up to Harpers Ferry. Just thought I would share this information with everyone
Either you had a lazy crew that violated rules and policy or Amtrak Management has just thrown us a new one. Last July Lunch was still available, and if you had just had Breakfast, you could still take on Lunch if you wanted.

Either you had a lazy crew that violated rules and policy or Amtrak Management has just thrown us a new one. Last July Lunch was still available, and if you had just had Breakfast, you could still take on Lunch if you wanted.
lot of things were available last july or in the recent past that are no longer offered. think dining on the cono, sleeping car amenities and so forth

Yes that's exactly the way it always has been in the past and like I mentioned the way it was in late April too. The way it was announced was that Breakfast hours were now being extended to kind of act as a "brunch" and lunch was not being served. Our SA said that if the train was more than 3 hours late into WAS that a "snack bag" (whatever that would be) would be provided for a lunch.

It would be hard to believe that a crew could get away with a fast one like this. Considering when the train returns to CHI with the same lunch inventory as that it left with would raise a couple red flags to management.

Rode #30 last month.

As above, breakfast is extended into (I believe) Martinsburg. No separate lunch was offered. I also fail to see how something like this can go unnoticed.

Yes that's exactly the way it always has been in the past and like I mentioned the way it was in late April too. The way it was announced was that Breakfast hours were now being extended to kind of act as a "brunch" and lunch was not being served. Our SA said that if the train was more than 3 hours late into WAS that a "snack bag" (whatever that would be) would be provided for a lunch.

It would be hard to believe that a crew could get away with a fast one like this. Considering when the train returns to CHI with the same lunch inventory as that it left with would raise a couple red flags to management.
I remember the snack bag on my CL eastbound trip that got in around 3 hours late to WAS and missed the Pennsylvanian connection in PGH.

Something like this "brunch" seems to have been going on for some time. I rode 30 in April of 2014, and ran into this. But the OBS crew didn't tell anyone how the meal service was supposed to work, so those of us who had eaten breakfast early and thought we were going to get lunch were very unhappy.

On that trip, I ran into someone from Amtrak's food and beverage service in Chicago who told me that they were experimenting with a "brunch." She said that passengers were supposed to be able to get anything on the breakfast or lunch menus--but for only one meal. She intervened with the LSA, and got me a burger.

If Amtrak had bothered to tell passengers how the system was supposed to work, I think most of us would not have had a problem with it. But as usual, they are horrible at communication.

I can understand them consolidating the 2 meals and even allowing Sleeper pax only one turn; you would have to be a real Chow Hound to take on Breakfast and then 2-3 hours later pile in Lunch, especially with all the great eating options in DC. Thinking back on my run last July, I believe when Lunch was announced it was limited to Meat or Veggie Burgers.

I can understand them consolidating the 2 meals and even allowing Sleeper pax only one turn; you would have to be a real Chow Hound to take on Breakfast and then 2-3 hours later pile in Lunch, especially with all the great eating options in DC.
This is what annoys me about all of these "experiments." If I'm paying for a sleeper that includes meals, I want the meals. ALL of them. I'll eat until I explode. First I want eggs and then I want a steak for lunch!! I paid for it.

FEEEEEEED ME, SEYMOUR!!!

audrey2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not found there to be a great deal of uniformity in how the meal service is handled on this train, and would hesitate greatly before saying that the actions of a particular crew can be used to make any judgments about what Amtrak's actual policy on the meal period is.

So here is a update regarding the lunch service on #30. We rode back home on #29 last night. I asked the server about the lunch service on #30 into WAS. She said that it was up to the LSA to serve lunch or not. So if it's up to the LSA to make this choice 9 times out of 10 lunch will not be served. Especially considering the laziness that some of these train crews exhibit.

Thinking I will call Amtrak this afternoon and make a complaint :)

Not to excuse slovenly service, but isn't it true that the diner crew has to have the dining car cleaned up and squared away before arrival in Washington? Sometimes the train is actually half an hour to 40 minutes early. Maybe that is why the lead service attendant apparently is given freedom to decide whether to serve lunch or not. Perhaps an Amtrak service crew member who might be watching this thread can tell us the facts.

Good grief. "Service standards" appear to be absent.
I hope you're not shocked. There's been ample examples [do you like that assonance?] of such. Do spotters ride the trains to see any of the nonsense that goes on on LD trains?

She said that it was up to the LSA to serve lunch or not.
Astounding. Even for Amtrak.
This had been the case with the abbreviated dinner between Albany and New York on the eastbound LSL. I think eventually they simply put that puppy out of its misery. So my expectation is that they will consolidate the Breakfast and Lunch into an prolonged Brunch and simply put the abbreviated lunch out of its misery on the Cap too. What is good for the goose would appear to be good for the gander. Sigh....

Normally I would quote Capt. Renault from "Casablanca" but after all, as was said, it's Amtrak so...

What might shock some members that know me is that IF Amtrak made it Policy that only Breakfast or Brunch, with a Limited Menu, was offered during defined Service Hours on the Cap, that would be perfectly OK and make sense!

If Amtrak were truly concerned about dining car profitability, given its formidable fixed operating costs (primarily staff who are paid for the duration of the train's run), you'd think they'd move heaven and earth to have the dining car open for business during as many hours as possible--especially hours that folks consider normal meal times. I understand that the kitchen needs to be cleaned, restocked etc. But the only way to make sales is to be open for business.

I think about this every time I'm on a LD train where the diner shuts down 1-2 HOURS before its arrival at final destination.

If Amtrak were truly concerned about dining car profitability, given its formidable fixed operating costs (primarily staff who are paid for the duration of the train's run), you'd think they'd move heaven and earth to have the dining car open for business during as many hours as possible--especially hours that folks consider normal meal times. I understand that the kitchen needs to be cleaned, restocked etc. But the only way to make sales is to be open for business.

I think about this every time I'm on a LD train where the diner shuts down 1-2 HOURS before its arrival at final destination.
Cafe usually closes about an hour and a half before DC and about an hour before CHI.

Not to excuse slovenly service, but isn't it true that the diner crew has to have the dining car cleaned up and squared away before arrival in Washington? Sometimes the train is actually half an hour to 40 minutes early. Maybe that is why the lead service attendant apparently is given freedom to decide whether to serve lunch or not. Perhaps an Amtrak service crew member who might be watching this thread can tell us the facts.
Amtrak should define the service hours. It should not be up to the crew to decide they do or do not wish to serve based on anything but a standard.

I was on 30 two weeks ago, and was shocked by the "breakfast but no lunch" announcement. Then, breakfast was packed and you couldn't get a seat (ended up getting "room service"), Even if a little bit late into Washington, to make the guaranteed connection to a Regional would make it tight to get your luggage and then something to eat before boarding. The cafe side of the CCC was constantly busy, too; and I noticed a lot of confusion from passengers that were used to going downstairs in the lounge, instead of to the CCC. People were turning away instead of going to the next car. No sign at the top of the stairs, just a trash box blocking the steps.

Of the 5 LD trains that I rode on my trip, by far 30 was the worst service.

Yep, the old trash box in the stairs to the downstairs Cafe doesn't cut it, especially when the LSA is working in the CCC!!

Announcements are made, but since they aren't always heard in every car, better communication is a must to ensure that revenue is maximized in the Cafe and all passengers that want to eat Amsnacks are served.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back