Redwoods National Park

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer
Since Monterey's hotels sold out, I thought maybe I could hop to the Redwoods instead. But if I stay in Eureka, what should I do to visit the actual Redwoods NP?

Swadian, I have a good friend who lives in Arcata (right near Eureka), loves Amtrak, and takes public transit around that area all the time. If you message me with your email address, I will get you two together off-list.
For the admins: I hope there is no problem communicating off-list. I don't know if my friend is an AU member, but I know he's the sole admin on a very busy professional list, and probably doesn't have time for much else.

Is it better to visit now or visit over Christmas? I'm guessing probably now before all the snow starts hit, since I must cross the Sierras to get from Reno to Eureka/Arcata.

Is Eureka safe to walk around after dark?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you do, you'll need a car while you're in the area if you want to experience the Redwoods in any sort of meaningful way. The main thing to do is to get off the highway and onto a trail. There are lots of easy out-and-back or loop trails that will get you away from highway noise and deep enough into the forest to experience the quiet majesty of these amazing trees.

"If you've seen one Redwood you've seen 'em all." Ronald Reagan, circa 1966
Just yet one more reason I disliked Ronald Reagan! I was in the redwoods last weekend, in Humboldt County for a party with a bunch of old solar industry folks. Drove through some areas on Highway 36, and a county road just west of Redway, that took my breath away! In the past, I have done some of the walks along the loop road. Even though I did not have time for that this trip, what I did see will stay with me. There are many groves besides just the ones on the famous loop road. Any, or all, of the named groves are worth seeing.

Not to turn this into a thread about Reagan, but according to Snopes, that isn't quite what he said.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/reagan/redwoods.asp

However, even his actual comments make it clear that the Gipper had no great appreciation for these trees. It is true

that if you go to the Redwoods with the attitude that "it's just a bunch of trees" than you will probably not enjoy yourself.

If you go with an open mind, and allow yourself to appreciate their immensity and their stateliness, then you will probably

have a good time.

Not to turn this into a thread about Reagan, but according to Snopes, that isn't quite what he said.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/reagan/redwoods.asp

However, even his actual comments make it clear that the Gipper had no great appreciation for these trees. It is true

that if you go to the Redwoods with the attitude that "it's just a bunch of trees" than you will probably not enjoy yourself.

If you go with an open mind, and allow yourself to appreciate their immensity and their stateliness, then you will probably

have a good time.
Thank you for the reference! I learned some things I didn't know, about the origin of the parks.

Back