Is the signing bonus gone?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigval109

OBS Chief
I've noticed that there are offers for points if you spend a certain amount $1000, but there are no sign up bonus if we get the new card as it was with previous cards. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps I missed it. I don't see any point to rush to get the new card if there are no signing bonus. Perhaps it might be better to wait to see if it is offered later. What I see are offers and not signup bonuses.

These days most signing bonuses seem to be associated with a minimum spend in the first 30 to 90 days. You are welcome to wait but I doubt very much that you will get an unencumbered signing bonus any more for credit cards.

When I signed up last year for the Chase AGR card, there was a minimum spend to get the bonus points.

I've noticed that there are offers for points if you spend a certain amount $1000, but there are no sign up bonus if we get the new card as it was with previous cards.
I thought the 12K or 20K points were the signing bonus. They are a one-time offer, that is triggered by a person signing up for the new BofA cards. Its just that you can't simply apply, you have to use the card too.

I seem to remember having to charge a certain amount with the Chase card too, before actually getting their initial point offer.

You are welcome to wait but I doubt very much that you will get an unencumbered signing bonus any more for credit cards.
Its been a long time, but I seem to remember Chase briefly increasing their initial bonus points (from 12,000 to 32,000), as time went on, to entice more of us to get their card. I have no idea if BofA would do the same, though, its possible they might actually reduce, or fully eliminate the points altogether, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this older ad, and we did indeed to use the card before getting the points.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-29-at-10.28.07-AM.png

You are welcome to wait but I doubt very much that you will get an unencumbered signing bonus any more for credit cards.
Its been a long time, but I seem to remember Chase briefly increasing their initial bonus points (from 12,000 to 32,000), as time went on, to entice more of us to get their card. I have no idea if BofA would do the same, though, its possible they might actually reduce, or fully eliminate the points altogether, too.
Yes, when i signed up (June 2012) it was 32,000 bonus points plus $500 purchase requirement in first 3 months.

Back