Any diffrence between Café and Lounge?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan's Trains

Train Attendant
Is there really a diffrence between the Café and the Lounge Car? Are they both the same thing but with a different name?

Well, on some of the Superliner CCCs ( Cross Country Cafe) which are converted Diners from a failed attempt to combine Diners and Lounges, the CCC serves as the Diner and the Cafe and the Sightseer Lounge Car is unstaffed!( the "Cafe" is normally Downstairs, the "Lounge" Upstairs.

The Cardinal is a Special Case, it has what is called a "Diner-Lite" which has the Diner, Cafe and Lounge all located in the same Car!

True Lounge Cars are Long Gone except for PVs, Iowa Pacific Specials,,Excursion Trains and on the "Canadian". ( called a Park Car which is a hybrid Pullman, Lounge, and Dome Car!!

Confused yet???

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, those of us on the single level side of the map have another set of "styles" BC/Cafe/Lounge, Seats/Café/Lounge, Lounge/Café/Lounge, and Acela Bistro.

I'm sure I've missed something, and did not include AutoTrain, its Superliner with its own cars.

At the Shop Desk in Sunnyside Yard in NYC, we simplified all the various food service cars into just two types for our purposes....either the car was a (full service) Diner, or else, regardless of its configuration, we referred to it as a "bar car"....

Of course, that was for internal use only, not officially used to describe cars to the public...

At the Shop Desk in Sunnyside Yard in NYC, we simplified all the various food service cars into just two types for our purposes....either the car was a (full service) Diner, or else, regardless of its configuration, we referred to it as a "bar car"....

Of course, that was for internal use only, not officially used to describe cars to the public...
I guess that is why screwed up consists come out of Sunnyside Yard. A lounge car and a cafe car are configured differently with different food storage areas and other differences. Lounge cars are Amfleet 2 with manual doors. Also Amfleet 2 lounge cars don't have restrooms.

Sunnyside Yard has a well deserved negative reputation. They just don't seem to care.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seriously? You don't differentiate between Amfleet II Diner Lites and Amfleet I Cafes and Amfleet I ex-Metroclub Cafes? That is seriously broken, if that simplified classification was used to decide which car to put in which consist.

I guess that is why screwed up consists come out of Sunnyside Yard. A lounge car and a cafe car are configured differently with different food storage areas and other differences. Lounge cars are Amfleet 2 with manual doors. Also Amfleet 2 lounge cars don't have restrooms.

Sunnyside Yard has a well deserved negative reputation. They just don't seem to care.

Seriously? You don't differentiate between Amfleet II Diner Lites and Amfleet I Cafes and Amfleet I ex-Metroclub Cafes? That is seriously broken, if that simplified classification was used to decide which car to put in which consist.

Ummm...you two realize that most employees use car numbers and not formal names for cars right? You two do realize that he said the "shop" desk simplifies it that way since to them, it really doesn't matter what the classification the car has. It is a matter of what it is shopped for and what repairs are needed to get it back on the road.

Once it is released, it is up to the yardmaster who works with the car desk at CNOC to make sure the trains are properly assembled. The yardmaster would have an interest in knowing if the car is an Amlounge, an Amgrill, Amclub, Capstone, Split Club, etc.

From the underside, most of these cars look exactly the same.

I hadn't realized these car no longer have restrooms. Were they removed during the stillborn "Diner Lite" program, I'm guessing?

Ummm...you two realize that most employees use car numbers and not formal names for cars right? You two do realize that he said the "shop" desk simplifies it that way since to them, it really doesn't matter what the classification the car has. It is a matter of what it is shopped for and what repairs are needed to get it back on the road.

Once it is released, it is up to the yardmaster who works with the car desk at CNOC to make sure the trains are properly assembled. The yardmaster would have an interest in knowing if the car is an Amlounge, an Amgrill, Amclub, Capstone, Split Club, etc.

From the underside, most of these cars look exactly the same.
Thankyou for clarifying that. The reference 'bar car' is strictly for the Mechanical department use, when scheduling or performing Preventative Maintenance services. It has nothing to do with marshalling any train, as Thirdrail7 has pointed out....that is for the yardmaster to worry about....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back