Roosevelt Road

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregL

Service Attendant
I've always heard people watch trains

from Roosevelt Road.

Is it a safe area? How do you get there from Union Station?

Thanks ahead of time!

Greg

Hi GregL.

I can tell you that when I was not traveling for Amtrak I was sentenced to be one of the trolls working under the Roosevelt Road Bridge. It is one and one-quarter miles south of Union station on Canal street. The bridge goes east from Canal and Roosevelt. ( some real old Chicagoans and some that are anti-Democrat will call it 12th street, its former name) It is a safe area as it is the new Post Office and an increasingly commercial area, you'll walk right past Whole Paycheck Foods and find a Walgreens on the corner. The corner also has one of the oldest greasy spoons in the city, I would give it about 1/10th of a star and that is just because it never closes. Enjoy your visit.

Oldtimer aka Al

PS I'm married to a south central Iowa girl.

OT, thanks for the reply. I was in Chicago yesterday, went I got some free time, it started raining.

I plan on making that trip again, probably next summer. I will follow your advice.

Our daughter and family live in Des Moines

Greg

Hi GregL.

I can tell you that when I was not traveling for Amtrak I was sentenced to be one of the trolls working under the Roosevelt Road Bridge. It is one and one-quarter miles south of Union station on Canal street. The bridge goes east from Canal and Roosevelt. ( some real old Chicagoans and some that are anti-Democrat will call it 12th street, its former name) It is a safe area as it is the new Post Office and an increasingly commercial area, you'll walk right past Whole Paycheck Foods and find a Walgreens on the corner. The corner also has one of the oldest greasy spoons in the city, I would give it about 1/10th of a star and that is just because it never closes. Enjoy your visit.

Oldtimer aka Al

PS I'm married to a south central Iowa girl.

Have to say in all my years of living in Chicago, I've NEVER once heard anyone call the street Roosevelt as 12th street. No idea when that street was renamed(probably after FDR was president?), but it was obviously before my time(born in the 1980s). Though funny enough, the beach right by Adler Planetarium is called 12th Street Beach, for whatever reason. Go figure!

Also, a note I'll add to this thread for all to read, is that 18th Street is also a good vantage point to watch trains go by, besides at Roosevelt. And yes if you're wondering it is perfectly safe by there, besides from Roosevelt.

Back