GregL

Roosevelt Road

I've always heard people watch trains

from Roosevelt Road.

Is it a safe area? How do you get there from Union Station?

Thanks ahead of time!

Greg

Hi GregL.

I can tell you that when I was not traveling for Amtrak I was sentenced to be one of the trolls working under the Roosevelt Road Bridge. It is one and one-quarter miles south of Union station on Canal street. The bridge goes east from Canal and Roosevelt. ( some real old Chicagoans and some that are anti-Democrat will call it 12th street, its former name) It is a safe area as it is the new Post Office and an increasingly commercial area, you'll walk right past Whole Paycheck Foods and find a Walgreens on the corner. The corner also has one of the oldest greasy spoons in the city, I would give it about 1/10th of a star and that is just because it never closes. Enjoy your visit.

Oldtimer aka Al

PS I'm married to a south central Iowa girl.

OT, thanks for the reply. I was in Chicago yesterday, went I got some free time, it started raining.

I plan on making that trip again, probably next summer. I will follow your advice.

Our daughter and family live in Des Moines

Greg

In the days when passenger trains went to multiple stations in Chicago, the Roosevelt Road bridge was great for seeing the various brightly colored passenger locos and cars from a number of Railroads.

Roosevelt. ( some real old Chicagoans and some that are anti-Democrat will call it 12th street, its former name)

But, it was named after Teddy, before FDR was even elected.

Roosevelt. ( some real old Chicagoans and some that are anti-Democrat will call it 12th street, its former name)

But, it was named after Teddy, before FDR was even elected.

And who was a Republican...