Chartering a train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaboard92

Engineer
Well I am chartering a train for my new business. Taking people to and from college football games. And I've put in for my first train today for next year. And if you guys are interested I'll keep you posted on what I learn doing this. And hopefully operating it. First train will be in the southeast next year hopefully

What a great idea! Hopefully you'll be successful and still get to have a ball running your own train!

I've beenn in the "Big Game Train" for the annual UT-OU War in Dallas, the first thing to ensure is that you stock plenty of beer for the fans! LOL

Keep us posted, this is neat!

I'd wager that a DC to Blacksburg train would do really well for Hokies games. Not sure how close one could get to the stadium, you'd probably need shuttle busses from Christiansburg, which would complicate things greatly.

Our first game is Clemson-GA Tech. I didn't want to make it too hard on amtrak. Not rare millage. The two VA teams mentioned are on my short list though. Illinois-Purdue are also on my short list.

Aloha

Our first game is Clemson-GA Tech. I didn't want to make it too hard on amtrak. Not rare millage. The two VA teams mentioned are on my short list though. Illinois-Purdue are also on my short list.
Seeing this is the route on Amtrak track? Possibly checking directly with the track owner may get you an answer.

That's the issue I am having. I don't have any contacts in NS besides Casey Thomson the photographer. I would love to run it via NS. In the short run it would make it cheeper I believe. As non amtrak certified PVs would be less costly.

That's the issue I am having. I don't have any contacts in NS besides Casey Thomson the photographer. I would love to run it via NS. In the short run it would make it cheeper I believe. As non amtrak certified PVs would be less costly.
Insurance issues might make it easier to work through Amtrak. Other than the NS steam train specials coordinated with various NRHS and other railfan groups, I've never heard of NS running a non-Amtrak connected special passenger train. Insurance issues KO'd a NKP 765 steam special using CP trackage. Using Amtrak's insurance coverage eliminates a lot of costs and problems.

I just looked into the UVA game. The only problem I see is the date which is when amtrak leases commuter equipment. So I doubt I could get a charter going then. Now if my plan works and I own my own cars and engines at a later date. Then yes.

Yes, while cool, that's always Thanksgiving weekend, which would make things tough.

66 and 81 make getting from DC to Blacksburg miserable. Train service to there would do wonderful if you can find a way to pull it off.

Are there any "regularly scheduled" football game trains anywhere, anymore....in the likes of the former Army-Navy game trains?

I recall when living in Omaha back in '71 and '72, they used to run one between Omaha and Lincoln for Nebraska home games...not sure if it involved Amtrak or not. Do recall the dome PV, "Linoma" was a regular in the consist....

Edit: I found this article on the web.... http://www.omaha.com/money/huskers-football-train-for-the-nu-miami-game-is-a/article_a2d004d0-0192-57a0-b34a-8b1c51def12c.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but they all go through West Virginia first. :p :ph34r:

Seriously, yes, but it comes into town from the north, you can break off of the Pennsy's route in Tyrone, go up to Milesburg and then turn S to head into State College. There has been talk around here of a potential improvement to the Pennsy's route diverting N at Lewistown to pick up State College, but that'd be an expensive prospect to blast through the mountains.

Are there any "regularly scheduled" football game trains anywhere, anymore....in the likes of the former Army-Navy game trains?
The Hawkeye Express runs every time the University of Iowa has a home football game.
All that equipment for an 'eight minute ride'? seems like a waste to me,,,,but I suppose it fulfills a need...

Now if they could run a train between Iowa City and Lincoln for a Cornhusker's-Hawkeye's game, that might be worthwhile... :)

That was one I was looking at. What weekend is that normally. That's what a four hour run maybe five.
This year it's 27 November....probably take somewhat longer than five hours, given that there is no regular passenger train service between Iowa City and Omaha....

Back