LCH to WFH on SL, CS, EB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
I've been home for 2 weeks, so it's time to plan another trip! Can I use AGR to make this round trip to/from WFH on the SL, CS, EB? If so, how many points for a bedroom all the way?

If it is a published route (I'm not sure if it is), it would be a 2 zone trip or 40,000 points in a bedroom. However, it really doesn't matter, if you can book it from ELP (again I'm not sure) for a 1 zone bedroom or 20,000 points, and book from LCH to ELP for a 1 zone bedroom or 20,000 points. Either way, it would be 40,000 points.

Last edited by a moderator:
In July 2014, AGR did permit a 1-zone redemption from MRC>WFH (connecting to the EB at PDX) on the SL/CS/EB. However this was during the craziness on the Hi-Line and the EB scheduled departure from PDX was moved ahead of the CS's same day arrival so the overnight hotel in Portland was on my dime. But after 2 attempts, someone at AGR approved the single redemption.

Having said that, 15 months is like light years at Amtrak. The orginal schedule has been reinstated but I don't know if the CS to EB is a "published" route. If so, it should be a 1 zone from ELP and 2-zone from LCH. YMMV and probalbly will! :unsure:

You're gonna need to call AGR and ask!

Lately,even AGR gurus like the traveler

don't know the answers to these kind of questions!

With the "New and Not Improved" AGR2.0 and Credit Card Roll outs coming up, and the "New and Improved" Amtrak.com on line, this changes everything!

I've been nosing around the amtrak site trying to come up with an old-rules trip to include the wb CZ from DEN. I could not get it to show a published route from the CS to the EB. That was a few days ago. Perhaps calling would help if you can't get the route to show without using "Multi-city." Good luck!

If it is a published route (I'm not sure if it is), it would be a 2 zone trip or 40,000 points in a bedroom. However, it really doesn't matter, if you can book it from ELP (again I'm not sure) for a 1 zone bedroom or 20,000 points, and book from LCH to ELP for a 1 zone bedroom or 20,000 points. Either way, it would be 40,000 points.
1 zone bedroom is 25,000 points. 2 zone is 40,000.

I've been nosing around the amtrak site trying to come up with an old-rules trip to include the wb CZ from DEN. I could not get it to show a published route from the CS to the EB. That was a few days ago. Perhaps calling would help if you can't get the route to show without using "Multi-city." Good luck!
I've been doing the same thing, and can get the route to happen counter-clockwise (EB to CS to CZ), but not clockwise (CZ to CS to EB). Not sure why that is. I've not yet called AGR to find out why.

1 zone bedroom is 25,000 points. 2 zone is 40,000.
Sorry! :eek: I don't go for those high costing things - I'm cheap! :p

I've been doing the same thing, and can get the route to happen counter-clockwise (EB to CS to CZ), but not clockwise (CZ to CS to EB). Not sure why that is. I've not yet called AGR to find out why.
DP: Please post what you find out if you call them.

I know that route was published in the past, but that was when you could transfer at Davis, too. (I researched a bit at the time, and agree with Jim H. that Davis sounds like the best transfer point.) Apparently they've cut all that out now. I'm beginning to think DEN-EMY is the only thing I'll be able to do. I was hoping for more on a one-zone award.

Thank you, everyone for your help. By using the Amtrak reservation site, this is what I have come up with:

LCH-NOL ? pay coach, because we have to stay overnight in NOL?

NOL-CHI, CHI-WPT 1 zone bedroom 25,000 points

WPT-WFH pay coach

WFH-PDX, PDX-SAC,SAC-DEN, DEN-CHI, CHI-NOL 2 zones bedroom 40,000 points

NOL-LCH pay coach

I haven't called AGR reservations yet, because my trip will be next May.

I think I will be better off using zone points before the January, 2016 price points goes into effect.

Any comments or advice? Thank you.

Nice trip! And there's a chance that you can stay in your room from WPT-WFH if no-one has booked it!( unlikely)

You would have to pay for any meals in the Diner ( Lunch and Dinner) Just ask your SCA and if the Conductor OKs it, you'll be much more comfortable!

Lots of us have done this on various Routes.

Margo, there is a Points Estimator on the website that you can use to get an idea of the new rules requirements, but the general consensus here so far seems to be that for long distance trips such as yours, yes it is probably better to book them under the old AGR zone rules, before the January ones kick in.

Your trip sounds like fun!

Back