The saga continues: pdx-lax-nol

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a continuation of my trip. Since I got off the train for 1 night I decided to start fresh.

The hilton executive tower is an excellent hotel. I got upgraded to a two room suite. I really only used the one room. But got my money's worth. Two showers and 12 hours in bed.

I concocted a Trimet ride itinerary for a exploration of the east side of pdx. Then overslept. Lol. I am enjoying a leisurely breakfast and reevaluating my plans.

Hi Steve - I hope your return trip goes better and that you make your connection in LAX. We will be taking a sleeper back to Flagstaff, not coach. The ticketing was handled right there in the lounge and the two men were very helpful. THe Symphony on Tuesday night was great and we are looking forward to the one tonight. We are at the Hilton Garden in Hollywood, which isn't that great as a hotel, but the staff is very hospitable and it is a few blocks walk to Hollywood Bowl. Used Uber for the first timne yesterday, which was excellent!

Greatcats, I am glad you had a great visit. I enjoyed meeting both of you. I was a bit pre-occupied with my hatred of bus rides and regret any rudeness.

I read on another post that the sunset limited was held 4 hours for a late 14. I hope I'm not that late. But I would be annoyed at not riding the sunset limited.

I decided on a quick rt to pdx airport on Trimet. I will eat lunch at southpark seafood. Then head to the station to catch 14.

Nice pics, they make me homesick for the City of Roses, but not in the Winter! LOL

Hopefully #11 will run on time into LAX and you have time to run to the Metro Lounge before #2/#422 Leaves @ 10pm!!

Hope your crew got rested up in SEA and you get better service, especially in the PPC and from your SCA!

Wave when you roll through Austin, there's a possibility I may be able to drop by the Station and say Hi during the Station stop??

I will be on 2, not 22 because I am going to New Orleans. Thanks for the good wishes.

Just ate lunch at the South Park seafood restaurant. It was oh sh%t good!!ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1438889512.162873.jpg

The Carmel salt ice cream was eaten so fast that I never got to take a photo. Took one bite and kept going until it was gone.

I've returned to the station and am waiting in the metropolitan lounge. The man running the lounge said he likes dealing with professional train riders. That's definitely me!!

11 is running a bit late, predicted 30 minutes late at Vancouver, but the amtrak app and lounge agent predicts an on time departure.

Lots of baby paraphernalia in lounge. There is one two baby monstrosity that I am sincerely hoping is not in the 1131 car. In fact I might see if there is an upper level roomette.

There was not an upper level roomette. I was in the 31 car yesterday in room 10 which was on the left side. I'm in room 13 in the 31 car which should be on the right side. Unless that car is swapped in Seattle.

After texting both you and my sister, I have learned that you are both on the same train, however she is in coach. You have met each other in the past and she looks enough like me that you would recognize her - if you decide to walk back to coach before Eugene.

small world :)

The train stopped just north of Salem. After about 20 minutes the conductor provided a professional explanation about the delay. A train that is ahead of us struck and killed an individual. The authorities have been there approximately 1 hour and the conductor predicts a 90 minute to 2 hour delay for us. I am not calling this a trespasser incident until I have more information.

Yes, this delay might impact my connection to 2, but at this time I'm going to go with the flow. Best case is that they hold it. They did this a few days ago, holding it for 4 hours. Worst case is I get another trip up the valley.

The lsa announced dinner reservations and indicated the entire menu was available so the grill must have been fixed.

Sounds like a good Conductor! Are the OBS any better than on #14??

And did you get offered Lunch ( that Seafood meal looks and sounds great!) when you boarded? ( I did last time I caught #11 out of PDX)

And what's for Dinner in the PPC?

Last edited by a moderator:
The trespasser obviously. Let's keep this respectful.

14 has passed. We will be on the move shortly. This is about an 80 minute delay. Got off easy.

I was offered lunch. I already had eaten in Portland and was full.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are still sitting here. The conductor announced a while ago that there was additional work that needed to be done before we could move.

The grill is still out in the diner. I can have a medium steak but not well done or rare. Glad I always get medium.

We are still sitting here. The conductor announced a while ago that there was additional work that needed to be done before we could move.

The grill is still out in the diner. I can have a medium steak but not well done or rare. Glad I always get medium.
Thanks for checking on my sister and updating her since apparently the PA is not working in her car and she is far from a "seasoned" train traveler.

Since you're a seasoned train rider I bet you'll check in Sacramento tomorrow if you'll have to ride a Bus/Train to catch the Sunset out of LAX or if they'll hold #2 if you make up sometime! ( hard to do on the Starlight Route)

Guess it'll depend how many are making connections from #11 to #2/#422 and the OTP!!

Glad you'll get a steak, is the PPC not having something goid for Dinner?

I have to rescind my criticism of my sca. This is the same one. That I had coming done. AC was sluggish in my room. Of course I fiddle with the vent to no avail. I called and he came and put his hand up there and said the vent was closed. He worked the lever back and forth and determined that it was not working. He then stuck something up there and moved the vents behind the grate. Viola. Air!!!!!! He's no in the sca hall of fame and 20 dollars richer. He also tweaked the controls by the luggage rack.

Back