Nikon 83x zoom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aloha

That is impressive, only thing at max zoom focus seemed soft. But what the heck if I could aford one I would have one.

In my experience extreme telephoto lenses tend to suffer from seriously washed out colors, disorienting depth of field, severe lack of contrast, and notoriously hazy visuals. Not to mention the difficulty of making a smooth and clean shot in less than perfect conditions. This is the kind of camera a photo journalist, paparazzi, or private investigator would love, but I'm not sure that would make for great general purpose camera.

A friend of mine has one and uses it for photographing birds. The photos are neither washed out nor hazy. In fact they are remarkably good.

But yes, I would not use it as a general purpose camera. It is an overkill for that purpose. My interest is specifically for photographing, birds, trains planes, and space launches from Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. I think it is very suitable for such without requiring the expenditure of an arm and a leg.

Back