Pack n Play in Superliner Bedroom?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
A new member (whose registration got "lost" during our transition) has posed this question to me. I do not know the answer, but I hope someone does. She will be traveling soon. Thanks.

I'm traveling for 3 nights on the Empire Builder with a 6 month old in a week and a half. I am trying to find out if the Superliner Bedroom has floor space for 23.2 x 33.5 (the smallest 'pack n play) when the bottom bed is in couch position??
I've called Amtrak and they were no assistance.

do you have any experience in this area or do you know anyone who does?

Thank you for any help you can give!

We definitely had a thread about this in the past. I think we determined that a pack and play was too big but had other ideas.

Excellent suggestion on bringing the smaller infant travel bed. The pack n play might fit, but, there would be absolutely no room to maneuver the adult in the room or be able to access the bathroom. Plus it would be cumbersome to haul especially when you are carrying the baby and your luggage etc.

I'm the new member!!
Thank you SO much for ALL the responses!

I've read the other threads already, but was hoping for some dimensions. of that floor space between the bathroom/chair-mirror/window/couch area.

My son is 24lbs and 30"long (AKA a Union Pacific Big Boy-the size of some 2 year olds) and a very active sleeper--throughout the night he half wakes up and roams every corner of the crib. So I am concerned that the smaller options-not allowing him to roll over- at least a half-3/4ths roll would wake him.... in addition to sleeping in a new space.

In response to some of the suggestions in those other threads== I am willing to co-sleep but he sleeps for 12-14 hours a night and it would be nice to be able to not be on ‘catch-a-rolling-baby duty' for such an extended period of time.

I have also seen this pic
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/b3fff3082d51c581ddfc20ff563bb2e0.jpg
and a number of youtube videos-but can't figure dimensions from it/them.

Again, THANK YOU so much for all the help!!

This new member is in dire need of information from somebody onboard a Superliner sleeper with a tape measure! Best I can do is use Amtrak's room dimensions and scale off a floor plan; bedrooms B through E have a rectangular area on the floor about 22" X 48" with an uncertainty of probably ±2"; bedroom A's rectangular floor space is much narrower, as can be seen below.

Superliner Bedroomsb.jpg

Tying it atop the single seat using a small ratcheting cargo tie-down strap might be another possibility - especially if the arms of the single seat fold up.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Or even someone on board on a Superliner with a standard unit of measurement-a lap top, spiral notebook, large hardback book--how many lengths/widths are available in the above highlighted space in your room?

(Great Idea!!!)

Ok I get the desire for the pack n play, but I really think it isn't going to work.

The problem with a 30" long 6 month old is that they are much too long for most of the other travel sleepers. I am only 60" tall and I'm a full grown woman!

I agree it might be best to co-sleep. There is enough room to sit in the chair while the lower bunk is still in the "bed" position, so if you stay up later and/or wake up before him and don't want him to roll out of bed, take the extra pillows and shove them under the fitted sheet to create a "bumper" along the edge of the bed.

You can do the same thing with a pool noodle or bolster pillow, but I doubt you want to haul that along with your other stuff (of course, it would be easier than hauling a pack & play...)

bolster.jpg

Could you put the pack n play on the lower bunk so he would stay contained? And you'd be sleeping up top.

I think it would fit on the floor in the H Room is one is available for your trip.

Is the 'H room" the handicap accessible room?

I thought if it was close enough to departure and it wasn't booked, I could switch to the accessible room.

The Amtrak rep I spoke with yesterday said I'd need "documentation proving an ambulation related disability."

:( No dice.

I thought if it was close enough to departure and it wasn't booked, I could switch to the accessible room.

The Amtrak rep I spoke with yesterday said I'd need "documentation proving an ambulation related disability."

it should be available to anyone less than two weeks prior to departure. Call back.

it should be available to anyone less than two weeks prior to departure. Call back.
It should be, but only if all other sleeping accommodations are booked as explained here: http://www.amtrak.com/making-reservations-for-passengers-with-a-disability

This new member is in dire need of information from somebody onboard a Superliner sleeper with a tape measure! Best I can do is use Amtrak's room dimensions and scale off a floor plan; bedrooms B through E have a rectangular area on the floor about 22" X 52" with an uncertainty of probably ±2"; bedroom A's rectangular floor space is much narrower, as can be seen below.

attachicon.gif
Superliner Bedroomsb.jpg

Tying it atop the single seat using a small ratcheting cargo tie-down strap might be another possibility - especially if the arms of the single seat fold up.
The chair seat can fold up and then the chair can rotate, providing a larger floor space.

Having said that, I think SarahZ has the best idea: pillows under the sheet.

Amtrak's own web site does not require an "ambulation related disability." In particular, hearing loss is a listed condition. Unless I'm misunderstanding something (and it has happened), hearing loss can occur without ambulatory impairment.

Amtrak's own web site does not require an "ambulation related disability." In particular, hearing loss is a listed condition. Unless I'm misunderstanding something (and it has happened), hearing loss can occur without ambulatory impairment.
Have you tried booking a H room by selecting hard of hearing as your disability? Perhaps they do ask about your ambulatory status as you go through the process.I have booked online using hard of hearing, because I am, but don't recall the handicap bedroom being listed.

Back in the 20th century when my son was a baby we took a trip from CHI to SLC. I made a folding cardboard box (no lid!) to fit him; we packed a folded-up quilt for a mattress. Back then the fleet was all Superliner I, so the "guest chair" was free-standing; the attendant folded it up and took it away. My son slept in his "crib" where the guest chair would usually sit. Worked great!

I have also seen this pic

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/b3fff3082d51c581ddfc20ff563bb2e0.jpg

and a number of youtube videos-but can't figure dimensions from it/them.

Again, THANK YOU so much for all the help!!
That was my pic. Perhaps this one with the bed down will help if you combine the two pics. The yellow bag base is 24 inches long and 12 inches wide.The bag is expanded to about 24 L x 16 W x 10 H inches as shown. The lap top is 11" wide x 10" long. Keep in mind that there normally is a folding chair on a post in the corner where the bag is shown.

Can the single seat be removed from any Superliner bedroom which can be converted into a suite with the adjacent bedroom? If so, methinks that's the solution to the OP's question/dilemma because the floor space rectangle opens up to about 48" X 48" with that seat removed:

Superliner Bedroomsc.jpg

Back