Amtrak over Trinity Railway Express -- anyone know what the holdup is

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neroden

Engineer
In the April Monthly Report, the change to TRE is listed at a future project but with no target date. Most projects had 2016 or 2017, and the others I guess are future ???

Worth noting, the TRE track improvements for this are funded by ARRA money. If Amtrak doesn't move by 2017 the money has to be returned.

In the April Monthly Report, the change to TRE is listed at a future project but with no target date. Most projects had 2016 or 2017, and the others I guess are future ???
Where is that in the April Monthly Report? The monthly reports usually don't very detailed with regards to the capital projects beyond summarizing the funds expended so far by category or for a few bigger projects.

I asked when I was in Dallas that question, and the TRE conductor and a railfan on board seemed to indicate it was already happening, albeit with a shrug and sense of uncertainty. Perhaps Amtrak is traversing the TRE more frequently yet not officially.

Last year during the Tower 55 and south track work the Texas Eagle ran the TRE and it covered that section faster than a scalded cat, saving A LOT of time on that run between DFW and FTW.

To find out if (or when) the TE has moved to the TRE, people could check the Amtrak Track a Train map when the TEs are running between FTW and Dallas. If the TE is on the TRE line, it will show up as north of the red line (marking the current UP route) on the map. Given the lousy on-time performance of the TE recently, it would help to get it done and move to the TRE corridor.

And that the issue. What / Why is there a delay.

Better route, faster travel times. Less time blocking tower 55. Win all around. Only issue I can recall is what if the train is late, and how that would impact the TRE. Does not seem that big of a issue.

Last rumor I heard was that Fort Worth & Western was causing some kind of delay, though I can't imagine how they would have standing to cause a delay.

With TRE, The T, DART, and Amtrak having actually signed agreements, The T having gotten insurance, UP having signed off on the deal, who the heck could be holding this up? What Is Going On? The shift was supposed to happen in February, according to the news when the agreements were signed last year. It's been another four months!

Last edited by a moderator:
No clue. It sure could have helped today's TE which is running 14 hours behind! (OK: Not really help it in 13 hrs vs 14 hous, but making up time is always a morale booster!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back