Vintage Amtrak travel photos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PupfosterG

Train Attendant
Here is a link to the National Archives'. Vintage ATSF High-level equipment.

LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a better link, which goes to thumbnail views of the entire set of photos. The train photos really start in earnest about halfway through Page 3 of the thumbnails.

I think these photos were previously linked to on this site, but they're always nice to see again.

Speaking of vintage photos, I have been doing some restoration for a friend (not an AU member) who has given me permission to share a few of his old Amtrak pictures.

FullSizeRender 1 F.jpg

This is an old heritage engine that was used by Amtrak near the time the system started, This was taken in Chicago south of Union Station.

FullSizeRender 6 F.jpg

In CUS north track area next to the river. Might be the EB??

FullSizeRender 7 F.jpg

South of CUS coming out near Roosevelt Road.

FullSizeRender 9 F.jpg

Another old engine sort of painted for Amtrak use. South of CUS in the yeards.

Great pics MrFSS! Those vintage E and F Units are indeed classics and I was fortunate to get some Amtrak miles behind them, though most of my miles behind those came from riding the Chicago and Northwestern Northwest Line.

Thanks for sharing Tom! We just think that today's equipment looks shabby and mismatched!

The days of the Amtrak Rainbow Trains and hasty bad paint jobs were something else as we oldtimers know from experience!

Wow-just saw the above link! I was fascinated by the first group of pictures, which show the area my father grew up in-Seward and Butler counties, NE! I've been to all of the towns pictured! Awesome old pictures of The Good Life :)

Back