Potential High Cost of Sharing Points and a Workaround

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruck

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I did a search and found a thread from 2010, but I just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correctly.

Background: I want to gift my brother 20k points for a two zone roommette award.

What I've found: This will cost me 200$ as Amtrak charges 10$ per 1k points transferred.

Workaround: I book the ticket for him. Same effect, but 0$ in fees instead of 200$

This all seems rather silly to me, so I figured I'd check to make sure I've understood correctly, and not missed something.

You've come to all the correct conclusions. Point transfers become almost punitive and don't really help all that much unless it's just putting the recipient over the hump for award travel. I personally think of each point being worth a penny, since a $100 gift card costs 10,000 points.

I'm guessing that they want to reward single members collecting lots of points, rather than several members possibly pooling their points.

Speak for yourself, I'm here to disseminate faulty information, flame other members, and generally be a controversial idiot.

Win. Win. Win. On all counts.

Speak for yourself, I'm here to disseminate faulty information, flame other members, and generally be a controversial idiot.

Win. Win. Win. On all counts.
Seriously, this is a far friendlier forum than other boards I've visited. You can go off the rails and not get (metaphorically) yelled at here.

BTW, did you get to use the ClubAcela coupons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back