Buy an AEM-7 number board (Amtrak on eBay)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent idea, perhaps Amtrak should do this with all of their old, unwanted stuff instead of just scraping it or stashing it @ Beech Grove or other storeage facilities!

Perhaps they can do a telethon or become involved with the various Shoppung Networks,or even e-bay, who really know how to move the merchandise!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I seriously doubt this is a legitimate auction. An official EBay sellers account has existed for years selling various legitimate items - this seller has zero feedback.

Apparently, somebody posted on this earlier about how people got caught selling railfan collectibles like horns, and that post was pulled for some reason. It has happened before that employees got busted for selling horns and other shop items, and the buyers of these things ultimately owned stolen government property. Not good.

If everyone was as skeptic about a seller with no feedback, then how does a new seller get started?

It has happened before that employees got busted for selling horns and other shop items, and the buyers of these things ultimately owned stolen government property. Not good.
To clarify: It doesn't get more official than this! This item is being sold directly by Amtrak and not through a third party. We're trying something different by making a collectible part from one of our historic AEM-7's available to our Amtrak Fans. Thank you for your support!
Seems legit to me. :)

Seller: AmtrakOffical

Personally, I can't wait to bid on the Viewliner II Dining car that was to be used on the Silver Star. :D

This is obviously a pilot program. Start small with number boards, and the next thing you know, you can bid on your very own Heritage Baggage Car*!

* Free Delivery Option not offered......

This is a legitimate auction. I can't wait to see what else ends up for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably taking a lesson from the MBTA, which sells this sort of stuff *all the time* (it's a nice sideline for them).

Not sure if it is legitimate or not, in fact if it was, Amtrak should have a link on its own website for it which would be an easy way to verify authenticity. Amtrak has had to deal with fraud cases before so I can't tell if it is or not.

The bidding amount is high though and apparently Amtrak itself would be smart to maximize value for its equipment.

Probably taking a lesson from the MBTA, which sells this sort of stuff *all the time* (it's a nice sideline for them).
The NYC MTA does this all the time as well; a few years ago I bought a metal straphanger's strap that they salvaged from retired subway cars and have been meaning to mount it above the toilet stool :)

Do you really think if this weren't a legit auction it would still be active? It has generated a bit of conversation, and would be a bit of a stretch for someone to go to these lengths to forge its legitamcy after specifically stating it is Amtrak, providing a signed embossed letter, etc. It would be clear cut fraud. Come on. Skeptical much?

Only because history has a funny way of repeating itself am I skeptical. Anyone can set up an eBay account out of DC and call it whatever they want. No other items for sale is fishy...no feedback is fishy...and no link to any authentic pages is fishy. The railroad usually makes some grandstand public relations notice about these kind of events...the lack of one is uncharacteristic.

Simply reiterated: Unauthorized selling of railroad property has happened before...it was ugly for the sellers for certain, and not good to be a buyer of stolen property either.

Simply reiterated: Unauthorized selling of railroad property has happened before...it was ugly for the sellers for certain, and not good to be a buyer of stolen property either.
Even if.

If Amtrak decided it was too much hassle to sell these items and threw them in the trash.

Is it unethical to sell an item you've recovered from a dumpster?

It's not stealing if the owner has discarded it.

Many years ago I did my internship at an engineering company who did work on locomotives.I took home various smallish souvenir items that I found in dumpsters. The trash guy even helped me retrieve them. I definitely don't believe I did anything illegal.

Dumpster diving is illegal on private property without permission. Until the trash is on public land then it's illegal to take. Your curb is public, so taking something out of a trash can on the curb is ok. A dumpster at an Amtrak facility is not.

I don't see how the auction could be more legit, but will the skeptics believe once it is completed or if another item is added? Who cares what they think!? Obviously someone bidding $346 doesn't seem to be worried!

It's awesome Amtrak is giving us a chance to legally own a piece of their history. It isn't always easy to hunt down scrappers. Look at CSX and their signal replacements. I've heard several people asking the contractor for old signals and being told CSX specifically prohibits them from giving them away under the contract.

How is no feedback fishy? You start out with zero feedback and work your way up that's how it works. If zero feedback Is so bad how do new Sellers even sell anything?

How is no feedback fishy? You start out with zero feedback and work your way up that's how it works. If zero feedback Is so bad how do new Sellers even sell anything?
Couple of comments.

It's easy enough to get some feedback by buying some items, inexpensive, and paying promptly. Even if you have only 10 feedbacks, it establishes you as a "trusted" eBay'er. That said, there are any number of unscrupulous people around who will build up a positive history that way, and then scam the buyers with fake goods. I'm not, not for a second, suggesting that this is the case on this item, but it's happened.

Secondly, eBay has a return policy if the item sold is "NAD" - Not as described. If you buy something and feel that you were misled by the seller, you can file a claim with eBay. eBay will look at it and make a determination as to whether your claim is legit.

Personally, I'd feel comfortable with this seller.

Wish they would sell the builder's plates....that is what I collect.... :)

Wow, why would they not? Any scrap yard worth its salt should be able to realize which parts could be sold to collectors far in excess of their scrap value?

Wow, why would they not? Any scrap yard worth its salt should be able to realize which parts could be sold to collectors far in excess of their scrap value?
First you'd have to come up with them. The DC builder's plates have so many layers of paint and grime, they are almost unrecognizable. The HHP-8s are untouchable for the immediate future so you'd have to wait for the Remans to head to the dead line. Even then, I'm not sure the all of the remans are ready for disposal.Some may have another year or two left on the loans.

The Ebay auction for the AEM-7 #937 number board closed out at $455. Not bad.

Maybe Amtrak can raise enough funds by selling off the collectible parts of the AEM-7s to buy an additional Viewliner II sleeper car. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back