Amtrak Ink

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatcats

Engineer
I like to read the employee publication, Amtrak Ink, on the Amtrak website. I just noticed tonight that it seems to have disappeared from the News and Media category. Anybody know anything about this item?

Whoops:

The Amtrak program to modernize its long-distance train
equipment advanced to a key milestone on Wednesday,
December 17, 2015, when 18 new baggage cars departed
the CAF USA Elmira, New York, facility and traveled to
Amtrak’s Hialeah maintenance facility in Florida for final
inspections before acceptance.

Guess they meant 2014.

Has Amtrak Ink been discontinued? I cannot find it on Amtrak.com. In fact, I do not see an employee section period, not that I could access it if it was there. I don't know how useful it is for employees but I enjoyed reading every issue although it dropped in frequency in the last few years to every other month. I am not aware of what Amtrak offers its employees in terms of an Intranet but it seems to me they sadly need to show some value in the front like workers.

Thirdrail, do you know why it was discontinued? When a company starts communicating less with its workers, that does not seem to be a good sign.
The logic was probably "cost" but I don't know that for a fact. As an employee, I rarely found anything newsworthy, mostly fluff with a majority of articles and pictures involving a 150 mile radius of Wash. DC. I did enjoy the anniversary and retirement listings...

Thirdrail, do you know why it was discontinued? When a company starts communicating less with its workers, that does not seem to be a good sign.
The logic was probably "cost" but I don't know that for a fact. As an employee, I rarely found anything newsworthy, mostly fluff with a majority of articles and pictures involving a 150 mile radius of Wash. DC. I did enjoy the anniversary and retirement listings...
I certainly enjoyed skimming through the anniversaries and retirements as well. It was kinda cool seeing articles with people I worked with as well, yeah. But mostly...it was just stuff that most couldn't care less about.
I believe there's a newsletter replacement that's available online only.

And Mystic River Dragon, it wasn't used to communicate important stuff, and I believe it may have even been employee, not necessarily management run. The important stuff has to be handed to me in person.

And the really important stuff has to be attached to your pay envelope...
default_tongue.png

Most companies do not allow the outside world an inside look at their employee communications, so this was a rarity. I just hope that Amtrak attempts to communicate its values and appreciation to its employees, whether we see it or not. If they don't, that's a problem.

I certainly enjoyed skimming through the anniversaries and retirements as well. It was kinda cool seeing articles with people I worked with as well, yeah. But mostly...it was just stuff that most couldn't care less about.

And Mystic River Dragon, it wasn't used to communicate important stuff, and I believe it may have even been employee, not necessarily management run. The important stuff has to be handed to me in person.

As someone with first hand experience in such matters, an online newsletter (even a daily like we have at my agency) can be turned around in a few hours, but a multi-page print one is several days for a monthly. It doesn't take a whole lot of thinking to see that the labor costs there are....very different.

They actually took a poll and based upon the results, they decided to axe Amtrak Ink some time ago. However, they waited until they overhauled the intranet. As Triley mentioned, someone minor will take its place online.

Back