LAX Metropolitan lounge question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the lobby (public waiting area) of the L.A. Amtrak station (LAX) how does someone locate the Metropolitan Lounge?
I can use the lounge (having a roomette ABQ-LAX) but I'm thinking I may first stop to purchase a meal or food upon arrival in L.A.
I “Googled” but could not find a ‘layout’ of the station. Is there one available online?
Thanks

P.S.

Is there a list online of restaurants, food vendors inside the L.A. Union Station?

Last edited by a moderator:
From the lobby (public waiting area) of the L.A. Amtrak station (LAX) how does someone locate the Metropolitan Lounge?

I can use the lounge (having a roomette ABQ-LAX) but I'm thinking I may first stop to purchase a meal or food upon arrival in L.A.

I “Googled” but could not find a ‘layout’ of the station. Is there one available online?

Thanks

P.S.

Is there a list online of restaurants, food vendors inside the L.A. Union Station?
The elevator and stairways to the Metropolitan Lounge are a bit difficult to locate. I was fortunate to have a Red Cap show me the way. Certainly, personnel in the Station will be able to help you.

As to restaurants available, there is a full service restaurant available along with other options. I chose a Subway location and was quickly served with a delicious sandwich. Be aware, at least when I was there at the Metropolitan Lounge, bags of Frito-Lay Company chips were available along with soft drinks and coffee. One may bring into the Lounge wnatever food one purchases outside of the Lounge.

Last summer I passed through LAUS, coming in to LA on SWC from Riverside. Let's just say it took me about 4 distinct individuals to FIND the entrance to the Lounge. Once found It is all worth it. The elevator is in a far corner where you'd never expect to find the first class lounge. Persevere ...".that's my advice.

The restaurant Philippe The Original is often recommended (0.3 miles):

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Union+Station,+800+North+Alameda+Street,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90012/Philippe+The+Original/@34.0579445,-118.2373823,18z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c2c64160adbc4b:0x527217f541ae2569!2m2!1d-118.236502!2d34.056219!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0xa05d997b42357a5!2m2!1d-118.236986!2d34.059681

Zoom in a bit on the map and you will see other restaurants even nearer LA Union Station. Many of them serve Mexican food because of the proximity to Olivera Street.

There is a restaurant right at the Station - Traxx - and a Subway.

Since you're riding the SWC from ABQ in a Sleeper you'll have an Early, Limited Menu Breakfast on the Train in the Diner! ( Scheduled arrival, 8:15am) The Metro Lounge has pastries, juice, coffee and water in the morning and. You can leave your luggage with the friendly desk attendants in the Lounge!

I'd say use a Redcap to get from the Train to the Lounge, they'll pick you up on the cart and take you to the back door of the Lounge from the Platform!( crosses active tracks)

If you want to walk to the Lounge, go down the ramp from the platform, turn right in the tunnel and walk till you get to the Amtrak Ticket counters on your left, turn left a the counters, go down the hall till you see a wall with rent a car signs, the elevator is to your left behind the wall, goes up one floor and the Lounge is on the left as you step put of the elevator through the Big Wooden door! Not sure if there's signs there yet or not, there wasn't last October on the way to the Gathering!

If you're spending some time in LAX and want an excellent complete Breakfast or

a Great French Dip Sandwich ( Lamb is my fave) go to the famous Philippe, 1001 Alameda St.! ( Google it up for Menu, info etc. Its a LA and Train Riders Tradition!)

Go out the front door of Union Station, turn right and go a couple of blocks on Alameda Street, you see it on the corner across the street past the Chevron Filling Station that's in all the movies!

Union station actually got a new website a few months ago and it's pretty good! http://www.metro.net/about/union-station/

They have a listing of all the services and restaurants, along with a map of the inside of the station.

The Amtrak Metropolitan lounge is not marked well on the map or inside the station. The elevator up to the lounge is located in union station west just beyond the Amtrak ticket counter and the Budget/Hertz rental car desks.

I can post an annotated map later tonight.

Union station actually got a new website a few months ago and it's pretty good! http://www.metro.net/about/union-station/

They have a listing of all the services and restaurants, along with a map of the inside of the station.

The Amtrak Metropolitan lounge is not marked well on the map or inside the station. The elevator up to the lounge is located in union station west just beyond the Amtrak ticket counter and the Budget/Hertz rental car desks.

I can post an annotated map later tonight.
The map on their website needs updating...there is a pastry shop near Ben and Jerry's. Across from the Amtrak ticket windows.

Have a Red Cap take you there. It is "around the corner" from the Amtrak ticket counter and the Budget and Hertz kiosks. There are actually a couple of signs there directing you to the Metropolitan Lounge ... if you see them.

I'm a disabled senior who uses a cane and can walk only short distances.

My trip is SWC ABQ-LAX, and then Pacific Surfliner to SAN, and then back to ABQ.

I scheduled it with about 2 hours between trains, being extra cautious, thinking I'd rather have time to kill than be anxious about making the connections.

Thought I might get a bite in LAX each way, between trains; or check out Famima?

Perhaps I should use a Red Cap from the train to Famima,

and then to the Metropolitan Lounge,

and then again to my next train?

The elevator up to the lounge is located in union station west just beyond the Amtrak ticket counter and the Budget/Hertz rental car desks.
So, looking at the map, the elevator would be (also) near the Famima? I could take a Red Cap from the train to Famima,

take the elevator to the lounge,

and take another Red Cap to my 2nd train?

The elevator up to the lounge is located in union station west just beyond the Amtrak ticket counter and the Budget/Hertz rental car desks.
So, looking at the map, the elevator would be (also) near the Famima? I could take a Red Cap from the train to Famima,

take the elevator to the lounge,

and take another Red Cap to my 2nd train?
"Behind" Famima and the Amtrak ticket windows near the car rental kiosks.

Yes, you can take a Red Cap for your second train. If you are in the Metropolitan Lounge, Red Caps will be available there and will take you out the "back door" to your train. No need to go back down the elevator.

Thanks

P.S.

Thank You for asking this Question and for the informative replies.

I would have been searching for the old area across from Traxx.

I haven't been through LA in a few years and didn't know they moved the lounge.

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Here's a map of Union Station West with the elevators up to the Metropolitan Lounge circled in red. It's around the corner and behind the Amtrak ticket office/baggage check. This is a cropped map, if you want to see the full context of the station go to the Union Station website.

Union Station Map.jpg

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Here's a map of Union Station West with the elevators up to the Metropolitan Lounge circled in red. It's around the corner and behind the Amtrak ticket office/baggage check. This is a cropped map, if you want to see the full context of the station go to the Union Station website.
Wow! Great "resolution" (?). I tried to enlarge a previous map and it wasn't any good.

Many thanks. I'm printing it out and taking it with me.

smileys_thanks_771216.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back