Flagstaff, AZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pianocat

Lead Service Attendant
Not sure this is where I should put this topic, but the header states, " Tips & info on things to see & do, as well as where to stay, in cities served by Amtrak", so here goes.

I'll be spending 2 nights in Flagstaff in mid-July 2015, coming in on the SWC. I've never stayed here before, and just did a search at TripAdvisor.com - the choices are a bit overwhelming. So, I thought I'd pick some brains of AU travelers who have first hand experience with individual hotels in Flagstaff.

Would like to stay near downtown, as day #2 will be spent exclusively exploring this area. [Day #1 I'll head to the Grand Canyon]. I'd prefer 4 stars, but 3.5 would be ok. Restaurant on premises a plus but not necessary, and would like to keep it to $150 or lower per night if possible. [i know this is height of summer season].

Can anyone offer personal suggestions I can hone in on with my search? TIA!!

Good idea about sending Eric a message. I will do that. All the travel sites - Yelp, TripAdvisor, Expedia, etc. are good - but I'd rather hear from someone who actually stayed at a place they highly recommend than rely on reviews that often are exaggerated or downright untrue.

Can you also post your reply in the thread so the rest of us can see it? I would like to hear what a local has to say about the current hotel situation as well. Restaurants too if you have any specific recommendations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per popular request, I am pasting the pertinent parts of my reply to pianocat:

On the subject of hotels, there are two older places in the central downtown area, both are only one or two blocks from the railroad station. There is the Monte Vista, which dates from around 1927, which is decent but on the funky side. I have stayed there twice in their more basic rooms, and it was OK, but not my favorite. One block west is another historic structure, the Weatherford. I have not stayed there, but have taken a tour of the building. There are a limited number of hotel rooms, which are rather charming and have character. They do advise guests that it is an entertainment hotel and subject to late evening loud music. The same could be said for the Monte Vista. There is a plethora of restaurants in downtown Flagstaff.

The closest lodging to the station is the Rodeway Inn, which I stayed in once under a previous name, and it left something to be desired. It is convenient and cheap but gets poor reviews on Tripadvisor. ( I think they should tear the place down and improve the intersection. ) It is on Route 66, one block west of the west end of the station.

Within about five blocks of the station, adjacent to the Northern Arizona University campus, is the Drury Inn, a modern hotel, which I used to stay in, which is pretty nice. It is walkable, but is a rather dark walk at night and you might prefer a taxi to get there.

I no longer stay in Flagstaff lodgings, since I have a home here, but my favorite place is the Inn at 410, on Leroux Street, about five blocks north of the station, up a modest hill, just outside of the business district. I consider this the best place to stay in Flagstaff - very classy. I just punched up rates for July 15, and some of the rooms were $170. However, on one or two occasions, and this was at least three years ago, the owner, Gordon Watkins, gave me a rate of something like $125 or $150 if I paid cash. You might call them personally and say a friend told you this and see what may be offered. The office closes at 5pm, and guests arriving late must arrange this and they will leave the keys by the front door. I do like that place, although I see it is now for sale.

Additional comments:

The two other major hotels are the Hilton Doubletree and Little America, which are not in the immediate downtown area. These would be difficult without a car. A taxi would be needed to reach these. Many other motel possibilities, some good, some awful. Check Tripadvisor.

On the subject of restaurants, we have many, too numerous to mention. For middle of the road good grub, the most successful restaurant in town is Beaver Street Brewery, two short blocks south of the west end of the station platform. I am a frequent customer there after choir rehearsals.

For fine dining: All of these are within walking distance in the downtown area:

Cottage Place, a few doors west of Beaver Street Brewery. Excellent, but pricy cuisine. You get what you pay for. Most agree the finest place in town. ( in small bungalow- like having dinner at Grandma's house. )

Pasto, Italian restaurant with fine cuisine on Aspen Street.

Criollo, South American cuisine on North San Francisco, very near the station.

Karma Sushi, on Route 66 across from the station.

Streetside Saigon, moderately priced Vietnamese cuisine, on South San Francisco St., about three block south of the east end of station platform.

Josephine's Modern American Bistro on North Humphreys St. Upscale cuisine in historic Flagstaff bungalow house.

Brix, on North San Francsico just above business district. ( it backs up against the Inn at 410 ) Upscale, excellent food.

Many more moderate choices exist. You won't go hungry!

Flagstaff does have a local bus service, which I have yet to sample. There are a number of routes, but the service is more suited to local residents and students, and does not run late at night.

Lots of great information!!! Thanks so much, greatcats. I'm leaning towards the Drury at the moment but won't book for a week or so.

Going to be coming to Flagstaff Late May 2019. Thanks for the info Greatcats any other updated info you can share? Bringing the fam of four with younger girls.

Update: since my previous lengthy suggestions, there is a night Marriott Residence Inn that opened last year only about two or three short blocks from the station. The Streetside Saigon Restaurant has closed.

I spoke with Little America and they do have a shuttle to the train station and the Airport up until 10pm if anybody cares. Definitely decided that was the place to book if your doing a rental car. The SWC is scheduled to get there at 8:32pm so as long as its not running horribly late we should be good. However might have to get a taxi from the hotel for the trip back at 3AM :) Why don't they just have sleepers  they can pick up at the stations with red eye service lol.

So Ive got everything booked except the tours. Anybody have any advice on something that actually is worth the 100$ per person price? Where we live you can get a 1 hour copter ride over the lakes for that. Just don't want to pay that much for a guy to walk us down a hill talking lol.

Per popular request, I am pasting the pertinent parts of my reply to pianocat:

On the subject of hotels, there are two older places in the central downtown area, both are only one or two blocks from the railroad station. There is the Monte Vista, which dates from around 1927, which is decent but on the funky side. I have stayed there twice in their more basic rooms, and it was OK, but not my favorite. One block west is another historic structure, the Weatherford. I have not stayed there, but have taken a tour of the building. There are a limited number of hotel rooms, which are rather charming and have character. They do advise guests that it is an entertainment hotel and subject to late evening loud music. The same could be said for the Monte Vista. There is a plethora of restaurants in downtown Flagstaff.

The closest lodging to the station is the Rodeway Inn, which I stayed in once under a previous name, and it left something to be desired. It is convenient and cheap but gets poor reviews on Tripadvisor. ( I think they should tear the place down and improve the intersection. ) It is on Route 66, one block west of the west end of the station.

Within about five blocks of the station, adjacent to the Northern Arizona University campus, is the Drury Inn, a modern hotel, which I used to stay in, which is pretty nice. It is walkable, but is a rather dark walk at night and you might prefer a taxi to get there.

I no longer stay in Flagstaff lodgings, since I have a home here, but my favorite place is the Inn at 410, on Leroux Street, about five blocks north of the station, up a modest hill, just outside of the business district. I consider this the best place to stay in Flagstaff - very classy. I just punched up rates for July 15, and some of the rooms were $170. However, on one or two occasions, and this was at least three years ago, the owner, Gordon Watkins, gave me a rate of something like $125 or $150 if I paid cash. You might call them personally and say a friend told you this and see what may be offered. The office closes at 5pm, and guests arriving late must arrange this and they will leave the keys by the front door. I do like that place, although I see it is now for sale.

Additional comments:

The two other major hotels are the Hilton Doubletree and Little America, which are not in the immediate downtown area. These would be difficult without a car. A taxi would be needed to reach these. Many other motel possibilities, some good, some awful. Check Tripadvisor.

On the subject of restaurants, we have many, too numerous to mention. For middle of the road good grub, the most successful restaurant in town is Beaver Street Brewery, two short blocks south of the west end of the station platform. I am a frequent customer there after choir rehearsals.

For fine dining: All of these are within walking distance in the downtown area:

Cottage Place, a few doors west of Beaver Street Brewery. Excellent, but pricy cuisine. You get what you pay for. Most agree the finest place in town. ( in small bungalow- like having dinner at Grandma's house. )

Pasto, Italian restaurant with fine cuisine on Aspen Street.

Criollo, South American cuisine on North San Francisco, very near the station.

Karma Sushi, on Route 66 across from the station.

Streetside Saigon, moderately priced Vietnamese cuisine, on South San Francisco St., about three block south of the east end of station platform.

Josephine's Modern American Bistro on North Humphreys St. Upscale cuisine in historic Flagstaff bungalow house.

Brix, on North San Francsico just above business district. ( it backs up against the Inn at 410 ) Upscale, excellent food.

Many more moderate choices exist. You won't go hungry!

Flagstaff does have a local bus service, which I have yet to sample. There are a number of routes, but the service is more suited to local residents and students, and does not run late at night.
Can't speak for the rooms at the Weatherford, but ate at the restaurant while waiting for out train.  It was really good and very inexpensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we bring this thread back to life. My friend and I will be in Flagstaff next month and we would love to know what is happening there. We are staying at the Sonesta Suites for 5 nights, renting a car and going to the Grand Canyon and seeing the other Parks and Monuments around Flagstaff.
Does any one have good ideas for great eating places?
And especially how is the covid is situation there? We are are going to be very careful and do most of our eating at outside or drive thu places instead of indoors if possible. Also, is it only C.C. or Bank Card for payments, not cash?
Please let me know how Flagstaff is doing now. Thanks for any replies.

I haven't been there in a few years. When I was there, I made it a point to visit Lowell Observatory, nice visit, also had an evening program with small scopes set up to point out things they talked about. Quite a few National Monuments featuring civilizations that most people are unaware of. I don't know the current situation. We do have a member here who lives in the area, and has volunteered at some of the sites and is extremely knowledgeable. Hopefully he will see this. I liked Sedona also.

I haven't been there in a few years. When I was there, I made it a point to visit Lowell Observatory, nice visit, also had an evening program with small scopes set up to point out things they talked about. Quite a few National Monuments featuring civilizations that most people are unaware of. I don't know the current situation. We do have a member here who lives in the area, and has volunteered at some of the sites and is extremely knowledgeable. Hopefully he will see this. I liked Sedona also.
Thanks for getting back to me. We do plan to see the National Monuments. If we have time the Observatory is of interest also plus Sedona. I hope the member here see's this and can give some insight to how Flagstaff is doing. We cancelled our trip last year and made up our minds '' this was the year '' since we both have the vaccine shots now. Thanks again for your help.

It's funny how things can trigger memories. Next to the motel I was staying at was a big truck stop with a Sinclair gas station. It had a couple of fiberglass dinosaurs which immediately mad me remember the big ones at the Sinclair DinoLand at the 64/65 World's Fair in NYC. As a little kid, who doesn't love dinosaurs!

It's funny how things can trigger memories. Next to the motel I was staying at was a big truck stop with a Sinclair gas station. It had a couple of fiberglass dinosaurs which immediately mad me remember the big ones at the Sinclair DinoLand at the 64/65 World's Fair in NYC. As a little kid, who doesn't love dinosaurs!
Memories are great. I googled it and there is a Sinclair next to the Little America Truck Stop. I will see if they are still there when I go.

I'd suggest Tripadvisor for hotel and restaurant reviews and the Flagstaff forum of T/A for customized questions. Better to have the reviews of lots of people for the former and the opinions of the locals for the latter.

One of our members lives in Flagstaff and is also a Volunteer Guide @ a Park near there.

His handle is Greatcats, he's a retired Rail Crew Scheduler from New Jersey, and loves to help folks visiting in Northern Arizona.

You may want to PM him here on AU, he would be a great asset for your visit to Flagstaff.

Last edited:
Back