Sign in to follow this  
cirdan

Houston Space Center --> is it worth it?

I just wanted to ask your opinions on the Space Center in Houston.

Looking at the website: http://spacecenter.org/ there seems to be lots of kiddy and family stuff.

I was wondering if it is also sufficiently interesting for a mid 40s grumpy bloke like myself who will probably be going alone.

Is it just noisy kids running around and pressing buttons, or is there something there for people who want to see more nitty gritty technical details?

Visiting the Space Center in Florida is MUCH Better IMHO! But if you're in the Clear Lake Area its OK! It is Historic, worth a few hours of time and overall interesting for adults and kids!

There's plenty to see and do in the Houston Area, I'd recommend going on down the Gulf Freeway to Galveston,out to Baytown on I-10 to see the San Jacinto Monument and the Battleship USS Texas over the Johnson Space Center!

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of the sprawl of Greater Houston and it's horrible traffic, but between about 930am and 200pm and after 1100pm till 500am you can get around on the Freeways if you have a car!

Edited by jimhudson

If you have an interest in space it's worth a one-day visit.

They do have several historic artifacts on display, including the command module from Apollo 17. It's behind plastic, but you can walk right up and look (through the plastic) inside of it. There are also some lunar samples on display; again behind glass but up close.

There is also a group tour of the Mission Control Center and some of the training facilities. ETA: As well as Rocket Park, where a Saturn 5 and some other spacecraft are on display.

Disclaimer: The last time I was there was several years ago during the space shuttle era. I'm not up on any recent changes.

Edited by ehbowen