How to Keep the Outside Windows Clean

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VentureForth

Engineer
Saw this on Storage Wars last night. Maybe if Amtrak could implement one of these, they can keep the windows clean during trips!

Just kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was riding the Capitol Corridor past the Oakland maintenance yard. They had a "train wash" similar to this one:

Amtrak_Train-wash.jpg

A lot of commuter and subway lines just use the equivalent of automatic car washes.

C756257E08D9A57BE4B3D7403C051CF3.gif

I wonder if the various cleaning agents and constant moisture affects corrosion on the rails.

I was riding the Capitol Corridor past the Oakland maintenance yard. They had a "train wash" similar to this one:

A lot of commuter and subway lines just use the equivalent of automatic car washes.

I wonder if the various cleaning agents and constant moisture affects corrosion on the rails.
This is the machine they use at ABQ (click image for source):

FTW has "hit or miss" window crews that at least get the Lower Level windows on the Eagles and I imagine the Heartland Flyer when it is penned up for the day. But like the Hot Dog Guy sometimes you see them and other times you don't.

As a child I remember all the falderal of them running the train through a washer at Denver,,,,,

I used to sit in the dome and marvel ,,,

ahh to be that young again

I use a magnetic cleaner on my big aquarium--the cleaner side goes into the tank, and you move it with a magnet outside the tank. Quite a lot of fun actually, and if you lose it floats to the surface. Now if I could get one of those attached to my roomette window, maybe rig something to remotely squirt some windex....

Which makes me think: Would they have a fit if you magnetically mounted a Go-Pro camera to the outside of your window? Would they notice, even?

This is the machine they use at ABQ (click image for source):

That's clearly not in Chicago, of course. Had that photo been taken in Chicago, one guy would have been holding the squeegee, and the other two would have been watching. :p

Born and bred in Illinois back in the day of Hiz Honor (Sr)

we used to pass by a road job and mother would declare state, county or city based on these criteria

four guys working, one watching - State Job

two guys working, three watching Cook County Job

five guys watching, City of Chicago Job

(my uncle was one of the City guys)

I use a magnetic cleaner on my big aquarium--the cleaner side goes into the tank, and you move it with a magnet outside the tank. Quite a lot of fun actually, and if you lose it floats to the surface. Now if I could get one of those attached to my roomette window, maybe rig something to remotely squirt some windex....
That gave me a hearty laugh. It my experience once the window is truly clean it rarely needs to be cleaned again unless the train passes through bad weather or a heavily industrialized area. Conventional Windex cleaning once a day during an extended stop would seem to be enough in my experience. The main issue is that I'm often on the upper level where reaching the window with easily packed instruments is virtually impossible. From a practical standpoint this is an Amtrak problem that requires an Amtrak solution. Which I suppose is why it's so hit or miss and probably always will be.

As a child I remember all the falderal of them running the train through a washer at Denver,,,,,

I used to sit in the dome and marvel ,,,

ahh to be that young again
Yeah...I remember that. They also did it at Portola (sigh)..... :)

Whatever, but it sure is a problem I'd like to see fixed. I'm on the train for the scenery first, socializing second, and the food 5th. Clean windows help mainly (only?) with the first, but that's my highest priority. Of course,I've also ended up seated on planes next to literally opaque windows. Best I not get started on that subject.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back