Charleston Amtrak Station ~ do cabs meet the early morning train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 6862

Engineer
In March we arrive Charleston SC Amtrak station at or around 5:06 am and need to get to the airport to collect a rental car. The airport isn't too far away but public transport doesn't run that early so we'll take a cab.

Are trains this early met by cabs at this station or do we have to phone? If we have to phone anyone got a reliable cab co to recommend?

Thank you

ps: Did check if there are contact details for the station but couldn't find any, do know the station is open from 3:30 am though so there wont be a major problem there

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been eight years since I last used the Charleston SC station, but there used to be a courtesy phone on a table inside the station with a list of taxi phone numbers next to it. So if one isn't available outside you could call and they should be there shortly.

You might try calling the Charleston, Amtrak station number (304) 342-6766 and talk to the agent to see if cabs are generally waiting for the train to arrive. Here in Cleveland, there are usually at least 3-4 cabs waiting outside when trains arrive.

Thanks Bill

I looked for the number on the Amtrak site but didn't find it so thought it wasn't a number that was published.

I'll call them Monday, thanks again

I'll have the same arrival experience on a Saturday in February. In 2012 I saw the same kind of phone list that blueman271 mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be surprised if there weren't cabs waiting. Savannah has 1 AM and 4:30 AM arrivals, and cabs are waiting. Most cab companies (or at least proactive drivers) know and keep track of Amtrak's status.

If there is a string of cabs and the passengers exceed that, they can radio for more, or in the worst case, come back after another fare.

Charleston, had 10,000 more passengers than Savannah in 2013 - and that's with 1 train less (Silver Star doesn't stop there).

Did try 4 or 5 times to phone the station at North Charleston, a recorded message cuts in but it's so quiet and sounding as though it's a cell phone out of signal range that couldn't understand more than a couple of words.

Think there's enough evidence here (big thank you) to show there are more likely to be cabs waiting than not. If that doesn't work the list inside the station should be there so I'm sure we'll get away promptly, all good info to know up front.

There were three cabs waiting for the ~5:15 AM arrival this past Saturday AM.

There was also a posted list in the station:

Paradise Express 843-597-1425
JD Express 843-609-1235
North Area 843-554-7575
Yellow Cab 843-577-6565

There was also a yellow phone for Hertz car rental

Thanks jacorbett70, superb information and thank you for taking the time to note it all, can't go wrong now.

Arrived into Charleston Amtrak Station from Washington DC last Monday at about 7:00 am, there were cabs waiting there but a lot of people got off and we were lucky to grab the last of 3 or 4 in the queue.

A very helpful lady Station Chief? was on hand to sort any problems that arose, she also operated the ticket window too and appeared to be the only person available except for baggage handlers, but she was more than up to doing whatever was required.

Good waiting areas at this station, but didn't notice where the cab phone numbers were though. On our return to the station this morning to continue on to Orlando she said she could call cabs if required.

Hope the answers here help others in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back