Southwest Chief Train #3 & #4 engine road numbers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Stotty92

My son and I are putting together a model train layout in our home. We live near the route of the Southwest Chief near La Plata, MO and would like to put a Southwest Chief set on our layout. I am in the process of trying to find this equipment, and was wondering if anyone knew which road numbers/ engines are used on this route typically. The one I have video of appears to have been a #6 in the A position with #184 in the B position. I have seen multiple pictures of #184, but the #6 is eluding me. Perhaps part of the number was obscured in my photo, but it is a Phase V engine in front of #184, and I'm certain it just had a blue 6 on the side of it. At any rate, we would just like to have an Amtrak engine that has an actual road number that is used on this route to make it that much more realistic. Any and all info on this is much appreciated by my 6 yr old son and I.

I do not believe any specific engine is used on any route at any time. AFAIK, the locomotives are whatever is in the yard and ready is used. The only exception is that the locomotives that arrive into LA that morning are on the SWC that evening. But departing CHI, any available locomotive can be used.

As said any road number of the P42DC will work. As for your Passenger Cars, if you are modeling in HO go with Walthers and feel free to mix and match Superliner 1 and 2 equipment as that happens in reality. If you are modeling in N scale, then Kato has what you need. For fun find one or 2 interesting "vintage" Passenger Cars and toss them on the end as Private Varnish!

Thank you very much. I stumbled upon a list of locomotive rolling stock on a web link, and I was getting the impression that, as you just stated, most engines can show up most anywhere. lol I do know that they are using the GE P42DC engines, so I suppose as long as I find that, the road number won't matter. Thank you very much for your reply, and have a great new year!

Thank you Olympian. Yes, we are modeling in HO scale. We are using Bachmann E-Z Track, though I am going to have to add 22" radius curves to replace our 18" freight layout. I appreciate the advice, as we are relatively new to this hobby. My son goes to the La Plata depot a lot with his mother and grandmother, and they watch the Southwest Chief arrive and depart at "The Lookout" near the depot, so I am trying to assemble a nice BNSF freight set, as well as a nice Amtrak Southwest Chief set for him to run. Any advice on the best, most economical, yet quality source for rolling stock is much appreciated!

The P42 's assigned to the SWC must have the equipment on the front middle axle for the ATC in AZ and NM. This allows 90 MPH running.

All P40's and P42's have ability to accept the IITS (Intermittent Inductive Train Stop). It's all a matter of terminal or en-route mechanical forces taking off the receiver and mounting it on the lead unit. All the Genesis lokes have a permanently mounted bracket for this to mount to.

Ok, but if so, I would imagine it's not a pop on/pop off procedure, so wouldn't keeping the same locos on the SWC be easier? Do slaved units have to have the transmitter, too, or can the lead tell it what to do? And what about those few rare times a Dash-8 is along for the ride? Can it make 90?

Last edited by a moderator:
It pretty much is. Couple bolts and a plug.

Trailing units don't "think" on their own and only do what's commanded of them by the lead unit, so there's no reason for them to have one.

AFAIK, the Dash-8 will run 110.

Any advice on the best, most economical, yet quality source for rolling stock is much appreciated!
I think there is no right or wrong answer to this. If there are any model shops near you I'd take a look there. Sometimes they may have special offers and discounts or even pre-owned equipment which will typically be cheaper than new although you have to take a close look to make sure it's in acceptable condition. Most model shops have a test track to demonstrate that engines are working correctly and can offer expert advice on what to buy and what to avoid. Ebay is also a good place to look for bargains, but in contrast to shops you're very much on your own so it helps if you know what you're looking for and what to watch out for. I've also picked up odd items at charity shops and such at dirt cheap prices.

One thing with old stuff is that you have to bear in mind that manufacturing quality has improved over the years. Older items can appear very coarse compared to the super fine detailing and ultra-fine lettering of what's being manufactured today. But if you're not too picky about such things, it shouldn't stop you mixing and matching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back