One Locomotive on the California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Conductor
Amtrak train #6(18) came through Agency, Iowa today over two hours late and, much to my surprise, with only one locomotive pulling the whole train. I saw a video yesterday of this train in Winter Park, Colorado with two engines (http://youtu.be/4FCL0-HMoEU), so what happened? Did the lead unit die, or did it hit something and had to be set out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the route East of Denver is low altitude and basically flat, there's a possibility that one of the P-42s was cut out in Denver for the Mountain portion of the route for #5 since Denver no longer has a protect engine and P-42s are crapping out regularly!

Just a hunch, no info??

Yes, it seems that the Chicago - Denver part (in either direction) can be done with only one engine. Last time I went West from Chicago (about 2 months ago) we had an engine failure (or possible symptom thereof) only 5 minutes after leaving Union Station in Chicago. They announced that we would back up into Union station to replace one engine. Later, while the engine exchange was being done, they said via another announcement that if needed we could have gone to Denver with only one. But they needed a second one to continue into the mountains West of Denver. So prudent to take the 45 minutes or so to make the swap in Chicago.

It turns out that last night Amtrak #5(19) lost one its unit near Galesburg, Illinois. They waited for over two hours for Galesburg to send a locomotive, but didn't get it. A person in Colorado has told me that #6(18)'s former leader AMTK 162 is now leading #5(19).

Three engines on California Zephyr #6(17).

The #6(17) lost the lead engine in Grand Junction, CO. After an hour wait, a UP engine hooked up and towed us through Glenwood Canyon, Moffat Tunnel and all the way to CUS. We were several hours late due to the speed restriction of the UP engine. Made connection to #30(19) and also in WAS.

I seriously doubt that speed restrictions on a freight locomotive caused the CZ to run several hours off the timecard between grand junction and denver, as most of that road has speed limits well below the freight loco maximum speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I seriously doubt that speed restrictions on a freight locomotive caused the CZ to run several hours off the timecard between grand junction and denver, as most of that road has speed limits well below the freight loco maximum speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Right. But I interpreted his post include the DEN to CHI portion.

Changing trains, I just watched the eastbound CL pass the Chesterton, IN webcam with one locomotive, no baggage car and just six superliners. Didn't catch the car types.

This probably explains what you saw Big Iron...

Capitol Limited Trains 29 and 30: Temporary Equipment Changes
Effective October 20 through November 20, 2014 Train 29: Effective October 20 - November 20, 2014
Train 30: Effective October 20 - November 18, 2014Due to delays caused by extreme freight train interference on the Norfolk Southern Railway in Ohio and Indiana, Amtrak is making equipment changes on the Capitol Limited, Trains 29 and 30 on the dates indicated above.

The Capitol Limited consists of two daily trains between Chicago and Washington, DC, one eastbound and one westbound. Delays caused by freight train congestion leaves insufficient time to service trains at the end points for their return trip. Therefore, Amtrak is setting aside an extra set of railcars and a locomotive to help ensure that the Capitol Limited departs Chicago and Washington on time.

In order make an extra set of equipment available, the number of cars typically used on the Capitol Limited will be temporarily reduced. During this period, the Dining car and Sightseer Lounge car will be replaced with a Diner/Lounge Car. Meals normally provided in the Dining Car will be provided on one side of the Diner/Lounge Car and the opposite side will serve as the Lounge Car.

Amtrak will continue to work with Norfolk Southern to improve the reliability of our service.

Reservations and the most up-to-date arrival and departure times are available on Amtrak.com, our free mobile apps and at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Thank you for traveling with Amtrak.

Join us on facebook.com/Amtrak and follow us on twitter.com/Amtrak. Check out our blog at blog.amtrak.com.

PSN 1014-13

This probably explains what you saw Big Iron...

Capitol Limited Trains 29 and 30: Temporary Equipment Changes
Effective October 20 through November 20, 2014 Train 29: Effective October 20 - November 20, 2014Train 30: Effective October 20 - November 18, 2014

Due to delays caused by extreme freight train interference on the Norfolk Southern Railway in Ohio and Indiana, Amtrak is making equipment changes on the Capitol Limited, Trains 29 and 30 on the dates indicated above.

The Capitol Limited consists of two daily trains between Chicago and Washington, DC, one eastbound and one westbound. Delays caused by freight train congestion leaves insufficient time to service trains at the end points for their return trip. Therefore, Amtrak is setting aside an extra set of railcars and a locomotive to help ensure that the Capitol Limited departs Chicago and Washington on time.

In order make an extra set of equipment available, the number of cars typically used on the Capitol Limited will be temporarily reduced. During this period, the Dining car and Sightseer Lounge car will be replaced with a Diner/Lounge Car. Meals normally provided in the Dining Car will be provided on one side of the Diner/Lounge Car and the opposite side will serve as the Lounge Car.

Amtrak will continue to work with Norfolk Southern to improve the reliability of our service.

Reservations and the most up-to-date arrival and departure times are available on Amtrak.com, our free mobile apps and at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Thank you for traveling with Amtrak.

Join us on facebook.com/Amtrak and follow us on twitter.com/Amtrak. Check out our blog at blog.amtrak.com.

PSN 1014-13
Thanks. I wonder what/if other trains were cannibalized to get the equipment. Also, I'm assuming, if the normal consists arrive with enough time to make the turn then the regular consist will be used??

It doesn't seem like it, especially since they're doing this for such a short term period. It would be hard from a staffing/inventory control perspective to jump from one set to another on a daily basis. It's possible they're using this time with the short consists to get ahead on PM work while the diner, lounge, and bag car aren't being used.

I'd venture a guess that due to the various melt downs on so many LD Routes and the approaching Thanksgiving Travel Zoo that occurs each year, Amtrak is trying to get PM and required inspections done on as much equipment as possible so they will be able to attempt to handle the flood of passengers that ride Trains during the Holidays!

It doesn't seem like it, especially since they're doing this for such a short term period. It would be hard from a staffing/inventory control perspective to jump from one set to another on a daily basis. It's possible they're using this time with the short consists to get ahead on PM work while the diner, lounge, and bag car aren't being used.
The shortened consists visible on the Sand Patch webcam on trainorders.com are missing the dorm-sleeper, the superliner lounge, and possibly one coach (if the train normally runs at this time of year with 3 coaches).

Correct, and in some cases like this the Amtrak train will actually get over the road faster because the freight locomotive has more effective traction effort at the rail head than the P42.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back