New Orleans to New York

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O

Conductor
Does anyone know where the tunnels may be on this trip. My wife, who does not like tunnels, wants to go to NYC from LA. We can take the Sunset Limited to New Orleans and be tunnel free. If we could get perhaps as far as N Virginia w/o a tunnel we might just rent a car for the remainder of the trip. I assume there are tunnels between DC and NYC but perhaps there aren't. She didn't care for the tunnel or whatever one may call it when we left DC to go to Raleigh on a train 30 yrs ago.

Edited to add--guess an option would be Texas Eagle to CHI and then either Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal or Capitol Lmtd to get to Wash/NYC. I would guess there could be tunnels on any of those lines, no?

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Tunnel into DC, in Baltimore and under the Hudson on the Crescent. Don't know about south of that. Lake Shore Limited has tunnel into New York. Cardinal has tunnel into DC. Capitol Limited I think has various tunnels in Maryland/West Virginia, probably not as long as the ones in the Northeast.

Does anyone know where the tunnels may be on this trip. My wife, who does not like tunnels, wants to go to NYC from LA. We can take the Sunset Limited to New Orleans and be tunnel free. If we could get perhaps as far as N Virginia w/o a tunnel we might just rent a car for the remainder of the trip. I assume there are tunnels between DC and NYC but perhaps there aren't. She didn't care for the tunnel or whatever one may call it when we left DC to go to Raleigh on a train 30 yrs ago.

Edited to add--guess an option would be Texas Eagle to CHI and then either Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal or Capitol Lmtd to get to Wash/NYC. I would guess there could be tunnels on any of those lines, no?

Thanks,

Dan
There is a good size tunnel between Birmingham and Atlanta. Closer to Birmingham.

You're not going to get into the NE via train without going through a tunnel. It just isn't possible.

I guess that you could get off in WAS and rent a car, but there are only a few tunnels, and they aren't that long.

It's completely insane to drive a car into Manhattan if you can possibly avoid it; it's a terrible, terrible place to drive, it's very slow, and parking is fantastically expensive. Driving from DC to Manhattan is *very slow* thanks to traffic. And more than that, the two most plausible routes require that you *drive* through a tunnel (Lincoln Tunnel or Holland Tunnel). Nearly all the intercity buses will drive through one of these tunnels. Your driving alternatives which avoid tunnels are to go via Staten Island and Brooklyn (crazy long route), up to the George Washington Bridge (also crazy long if you're coming from the south), or via the Bronx (only makes sense if coming from the north).

Everyone in Manhattan uses the subway, which is mostly tunnels. Going between boroughs, even the taxis will use tunnels.

How bad is her phobia? Are you sure she actually wants to visit NYC? It's a city of tunnels.

There really aren't very many tunnels on the Amtrak route from DC to NY:

- the one leading out of the south end of DC Union Station;

- one on the south side of Baltimore Union Station

- one on the north side of Baltimore Union Station

- the one under the Hudson leading into NY Penn Station.

They're all pretty short.

There is a much longer tunnel on the Lake Shore Limited route coming into NY from the north (it's basically underground for most of the length of Manhattan). I suppose could get off at Croton-Harmon and change to Metro-North; it doesn't go into tunnels until south of 125th St., by which point you're in Manhattan and can get a taxi.

Unfortunately, if you're changing trains in Chicago, you go through a one-block "tunnel" under the old post office to enter the Chicago station. And at Chicago, NYC, and DC, the station platforms are basically in tunnels (under the buildings).

But hey, you have to walk through a tunnel just to get to the platforms in LA. Again, how bad is her phobia?

It's completely insane to drive a car into Manhattan if you can possibly avoid it; it's a terrible, terrible place to drive, it's very slow, and parking is fantastically expensive.

Call me insane because I have driven in Manhattan and I loved it. It was a few years ago and only for a week but I enjoyed it very much. I have to agree parking is very pricey.

Driving from DC to Manhattan is *very slow* thanks to traffic. And more than that, the two most plausible routes require that you *drive* through a tunnel.

We went over the GW bridge every day when we were there in 2009. It was out of the way but not unbearably so. Slow drive--I have driven that and it was no worse than driving in LA.

How bad is her phobia? Are you sure she actually wants to visit NYC?

We actually were there (well stayed in NJ and drove in every day) for a week back in 2009. Never went in an elevator, tunnel or subway while we were there. Still were able to have a good time. Her phobias are pretty bad. Re going to NYC--my daughter is getting married there so we'd like to be there.

But hey, you have to walk through a tunnel just to get to the platforms in LA.
That one has escape routes (stairs to platforms) so she is okay with those. We most likely would just get the train either in Riverside (SWC) or Ontario (SL). That would not be to avoid that tunnel but just because they are closer to where we live.

Thanks to all for the information. The train is an option and a small number of tunnels may not be a deal breaker.
Thanks for the tunnel information. I think we will probably drive but the train is the best option if we just go there and spend a day or two and return. If we make a big trip and are gone a month or so, we will go by car.

dan

There is also a tunnel just North of Lynchburg Va. But this time of year it's dark outside when the train passes through it, so it hard to notice.

Lynchburg has two tunnels. First one going north is 100 ft. Long just as you arrive at the station. The second is Riverside Park tunnel just before crossing the James River about 3 miles north of the Lynchburg station.

I do just want to give a warning about the tunnel under the Hudson and Penn. While it's not that long, the train does slow up a bit near the end of it because the Penn Station tracks are right on the other side and speed limits are about 15 mph. I take either Amtrak or NJ Transit trains quite a bit through the tunnel, I would say the trip through that tunnel is on average 7-10 minutes. Also important to consider is the fact that Penn Station is completely underground, so if you go into Penn, you will then need to go up a series of escalators or stairs from the platform, to the concourse level, walk through the concourse for a good 3-5 minutes, and then get to an escalator to the street. Until you get to the street, you are completely underground with no windows or anything. I'm not trying to alarm you, I just wan't to make sure you guys have the best experience. I had an issue with claustrophobia for a year or so, and when I was going through it I never liked the Hudson tunnel.

A possible compromise would be taking the train to Newark (the stop right before NYP) and getting a rental car there to then take up across the GW Bridge.

I do just want to give a warning about the tunnel under the Hudson and Penn. While it's not that long, the train does slow up a bit near the end of it because the Penn Station tracks are right on the other side and speed limits are about 15 mph. I take either Amtrak or NJ Transit trains quite a bit through the tunnel, I would say the trip through that tunnel is on average 7-10 minutes.

A possible compromise would be taking the train to Newark (the stop right before NYP) and getting a rental car there to then take up across the GW Bridge.
The North River, aka Hudson River tunnels are about 2.5 miles long from the NJ portal to the portal at 10th Ave leading into the NYP bathtub. They are fairly long tunnels, hardly short ones. That is part of why building 2 new tunnels will be seriously expensive.
As for taking the train to Newark, can't get there on Amtrak from south of DC without going through other tunnels including First St tunnel in DC and the B&P and Union tunnels in Baltimore.

Driving from DC to NY would involve highway tunnels unless you research and plan your route very carefully. I think the most tunnel-free rail route might be New Orleans to Chicago on the City of New Orleans, then Lake Shore Limited to New York City. The last leg from Albany to NYC would involve a couple tunnels, but I don't think any are very long.

Tom

I think it's pretty clear that regardless of the method used to get into NYC, you are likely encounter a tunnel at some point during your trip.

The tunnels that Amtrak uses aren't very long, and there is no way to avoid them if you want to get into NYC by rail.

If a tunnel, no matter how minor, is completely out of the question, you should probably drive.

I'm not really sure what else to suggest.

Driving from DC to NY would involve highway tunnels unless you research and plan your route very carefully.
Oh yeah.
I think the most tunnel-free rail route might be New Orleans to Chicago on the City of New Orleans, then Lake Shore Limited to New York City. The last leg from Albany to NYC would involve a couple tunnels, but I don't think any are very long.
As I said, there's effectively a very long tunnel most of the length of Manhattan. (It's not technically a tunnel, it's a bunch of buildings built on top of a cutting, but it feels the same.)

There are a couple of tiny tunnels on the LSL between Albany and Croton-Harmon, but they're "blink and you'll miss 'em" tunnels -- you can see out one end from the other end, you're in the tunnel for less than 2 seconds -- basically cutting through outcroppings. There are no tunnels on the LSL west of there (not counting the one block in Chicago).

If you switch from the LSL to Metro-North at Croton-Harmon, you can get as far as 125th St. without going in a significant tunnel. At that point you can just catch a taxi.

I think there's no tunnels on the City of New Orleans route at all. Are there any on the Texas Eagle route? There might not be on that route either.

Hmm. Faced with this puzzle, I'd probably go Sunset Limited - Texas Eagle to Chicago, Lake Shore Limited to Croton-Harmon, Metro-North to 125th St, catch a taxi. :)

Driving from DC to NY would involve highway tunnels unless you research and plan your route very carefully.
Oh yeah.
I think the most tunnel-free rail route might be New Orleans to Chicago on the City of New Orleans, then Lake Shore Limited to New York City. The last leg from Albany to NYC would involve a couple tunnels, but I don't think any are very long.
As I said, there's effectively a very long tunnel most of the length of Manhattan. (It's not technically a tunnel, it's a bunch of buildings built on top of a cutting, but it feels the same.)

There are a couple of tiny tunnels on the LSL between Albany and Croton-Harmon, but they're "blink and you'll miss 'em" tunnels -- you can see out one end from the other end, you're in the tunnel for less than 2 seconds -- basically cutting through outcroppings. There are no tunnels on the LSL west of there (not counting the one block in Chicago).

If you switch from the LSL to Metro-North at Croton-Harmon, you can get as far as 125th St. without going in a significant tunnel. At that point you can just catch a taxi.

I think there's no tunnels on the City of New Orleans route at all. Are there any on the Texas Eagle route? There might not be on that route either.

Hmm. Faced with this puzzle, I'd probably go Sunset Limited - Texas Eagle to Chicago, Lake Shore Limited to Croton-Harmon, Metro-North to 125th St, catch a taxi. :)
Based on my limited experience of Manhattan, yup neroden, totally right.

And I totally like Manhattan, unlike the OP, I wouldn't drive there -- but whatever turns your rotary center.

About avoiding scary places -- hey for some people a dense city freaks them out - or an endless prairie seems threatening.

None of that scares me -- but I understand how some can feel fear.

And I know I love Manhattan -- totally crazy place -- get there however you can and meet your family obligations however you can.

Love the place, respect and want to help the OP.

Oh yeah.

And I totally like Manhattan, unlike the OP, I wouldn't drive there -- but whatever turns your rotary center.

About avoiding scary places -- hey for some people a dense city freaks them out - or an endless prairie seems threatening.

And I know I love Manhattan -- totally crazy place -- get there however you can and meet your family obligations however you can.

I have lived my whole life in NYC( over 6 decades) and still hate to drive into Manhattan. The liberals who run this city do everything possible to make it harder and harder to get around in your car.On some avenues they have even literally moved the curb one lane out into the street to create a bike lane reducing traffic lanes by one. Cars park at the extended curbs and trucks making deliveries double park next to them reducing the traffic lanes by two entire lanes!! When you include the seemingly never ending construction project for the 2nd Avenue subway into the mix it makes it even worse. Usually leave car at home when going into Manhattan( I live in Queens near Triborough Bridge- refuse to call it RFK bridge) and take the elevated/subway into downtown area whenever feasible. I can only imagine how those folks who don't live here feel about driving in Manhattan. It can be filled with anxiety for even the most experienced drivers.

Oh yeah.

I have lived my whole life in NYC( over 6 decades) and still hate to drive into Manhattan. The liberals who run this city do everything possible to make it harder and harder to get around in your car.On some avenues they have even literally moved the curb one lane out into the street to create a bike lane reducing traffic lanes by one. Cars park at the extended curbs and trucks making deliveries double park next to them reducing the traffic lanes by two entire lanes!! When you include the seemingly never ending construction project for the 2nd Avenue subway into the mix it makes it even worse. Usually leave car at home when going into Manhattan( I live in Queens near Triborough Bridge- refuse to call it RFK bridge) and take the elevated/subway into downtown area whenever feasible. I can only imagine how those folks who don't live here feel about driving in Manhattan. It can be filled with anxiety for even the most experienced drivers.
Lived my whole life here too (only 24 years), still don't have a drivers license :) I should work on that.

As someone who has a slight phobia of tunnels, I will say that driving through a tunnel is much, much easier than riding through a tunnel on a train. A lot of it has to do with size and whether or not the tunnel is lit.

As someone who has a slight phobia of tunnels, I will say that driving through a tunnel is much, much easier than riding through a tunnel on a train. A lot of it has to do with size and whether or not the tunnel is lit.
Yoiu guys would never make it in The Spiral Tunnels in British Columbia (now used by Rocky Mountaineer) which take 5-10 minutes to get through all the while going in circles!

There are so many people in such a small space in Manhattan that private cars simply aren't practical. They waste too much space carrying too few people.

It's more efficient to allocate that street space to pedestrians, to bicyclists, to buses... and a lot of the street space is needed for delivery trucks & workmen's trucks, too.

Thankfully there's no real need to drive a car in Manhattan thanks to the subway, taxis, etc.

Worst thing for her in a tunnel is to have heavy traffic and have to stop. That has happened in an underpass/tunnel near LAX (the airport) and she got out and walked on the sidewalk to the end where I picked her up. Just from limited driving in NYC, it appeared that most traffic in the tunnels would be on the slower side which she would not like at all. An occasional short tunnel is bearable. But that long one in Colorado on I-70 we just went around, taking a scenic route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back