Female Engineer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
I'm on the Eagle and yesterday while stopped at St. Louis, stopped on the track next to us was the Lincoln. And much to my surprise the most unlikely person I could imagine was climbing up the side of the engine.....a gray-haired grandmotherly type was the Engineer! Good for her!! I'm wondering how many female Engineers work for Amtrak....probably not enough....but I'm sure she must be the oldest.

There are a few out on the West Coast who work the Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin routes as far as I have seen. Unless I've seen the same few they seem to be fairly common (meaning more than one here or there). Can't say they are gray-haired and grandmotherly though! Historically it has been more of a male dominated profession, however if you can do the job safely and meet the requirements, male or female, have at it!

I'm on the Eagle and yesterday while stopped at St. Louis, stopped on the track next to us was the Lincoln. And much to my surprise the most unlikely person I could imagine was climbing up the side of the engine.....a gray-haired grandmotherly type was the Engineer! Good for her!! I'm wondering how many female Engineers work for Amtrak....probably not enough....but I'm sure she must be the oldest.
Currently there are a lot more female engineers than 30 years ago but there were some who started back then who are still working. So the one you saw may be among the oldest but may not be the oldest female engineer still working. I know one on the NEC who is a great grandmother. i would not say she was the grandmotherly type though.......

There are a few in Southern California on Metrolink, Pacific Surfliner and the Coast Starlight.

At the moment, the Metrolink operating crews are Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know at least 2 on the NEC. I actually had a cab ride with one of them. Another I saw on a Thanksgiving Sunday. Female railroaders are hard to find in this day and age, more so Engineers and Freight Conductors and Engineers.

Airline pilots have a mandatory retirement age, so why not engineers? Problem in America is that "ABILITY" is generally defined as until someone gets into a wreak and kills or hurt LOTS of people.

I saw a female engineer on the Zephyr at a crew change in Grand Junction away back in 2000 or so. About the same time I saw a female hostler bringing the Skeena into the VIA station at Jasper. Half the conductors on Amtrak seem to be female these days. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

:giggle:

There is one that works the RVR-WAS route. I've seen a few female Conductors/Asst Conductors on the NEC.

Are there mandatory retirement ages for engineers? Like there are for pilots?
There is no mandatory retirement age for engineers.
There should be. Same for elderlys driving.
Define "elderly." Age? Once size (age) fits all?

It should be dependent upon ability, not age. I know a few 70-year olds who drive much better than some 25-year olds. Age is not always indicative of skill.
Mandatory bi-annual testing starting at age X. Pilots, drivers and engineers. If you can still do it, have at it. If not, sorry, time to move along.

Operating a locomotive today, does not require the kind of strength it required in the steam locomotive days, so there is no reason why a female engineer should be even considered as an unusual profession.

Operating a locomotive today, does not require the kind of strength it required in the steam locomotive days, so there is no reason why a female engineer should be even considered as an unusual profession.
I see female engineers on Amtrak Pacific Surfliner all the time. There is one that looks as if she could easily shovel coal if it was a steam loco and not the EMD's. :) She could probably pick me up and snap my spine in two in a split sec.

If an engineer meets the requirements, adheres to the rules of safe operation and performs the job well; the age and gender is irrelevant. Its not an easy job as you must stay alert and in control of the locomotive for 8 continuous hours with the only breaks coming at station stops. I just wonder what they do when they need to take a "pit stop"? I guess that it must wait for the next extended station stop.

A female conductor and female assistant conductor provided the most efficient, professional handling of an ignorant drunk in bc on the Lincoln service. He was off loaded in Dwight. Took less than 5 minutes. We were on time into Stl. Both were African American. Consummate professionals IMHO.

The Eagle between SAS and FTW has several Female Conductors ( actually ACs due to Seniority) that do a good job!

Professionalism with Good Customer Relation Skills is what I value most in my OBS and T& E Crews!

Airline pilots have a mandatory retirement age, so why not engineers? Problem in America is that "ABILITY" is generally defined as until someone gets into a wreak and kills or hurt LOTS of people.
There is a physical exam every year. There is a rules exam every year. Every year a cert ride. Ability is measured constantly. No need to have a mandatory retirement age for engineers. Airline pilots and enginners are different occupations and require different skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back