Whittle Shortline RR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever heard of them?

I hadn't until a few weeks ago. Soon-to-be-4 grandson wanted an Amtrak train and made it clear - no remote control. He'll grow into real model trains but I found only two sources. Amtrak's gift shop had one and this Whittle had a bunch including 3-car sets all compatible with Thomas. They have all Superliner trains including 2 different engines, coach, baggage, sleeper, diner, lounge, mail and two 3-car sets.

Heck of a time finding any info. Seems like after Christmas last year they decided to stop selling through dealers and go it alone online. Terrible web site and no info about shipping costs until you get to final checkout point. Their "contact us" form took my comment then it was rejected as apparently their gmail account didn't like my yahoo email address.

Well, it turns out their trains are made of real wood here in the U.S. (Missouri). When I called to find out if the gift would arrive in time, I actually talked to the guy who was putting the finishing touches on some engines, one of which was mine. Arrived a few days later and the set looks awesome!

I am not a shill for them, just a one-time buyer. That's why I am not including their web site but you can look it up. But if you got a kid at that age and want to introduce him (or even her) to Amtrak and American made products, look 'em up. Not cheap. With shipping, 3 car Superliner set including engine was $68. Of course my grandson is worth every penny. Can't wait until he wants the "remote control" ones.

Ex 1950-60s American Flyer owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back