Rutland, VT?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orie

Service Attendant
I'm trying to plan out a little excursion with the girlfriend out of New York (and her first non NE Regional ride). I've done some research on the internet, but what is there to do around Rutland VT? I was thinking a full trip on the Ethan Allen Express might be kind of fun. If it isn't, perhaps we'll just take the Empire Service to Niagara Falls. Neither of us has been there either.

If you go to Rutland, rent a car, and then there are lots of options. Without a car, there is not much to do. I think the Hampton Inn, which is south of 'downtown' Rutland is okay, and is the best place to stay in Rutland. The staff was great when I stayed there, but the hotel is a standard 'cookie cutter' Hampton Inn, and looks out over late 20th Century commercial sprawl, with mountains in the distance.

The ride on the Ethan Allen is scenic.

Another option would be to stop in Saratoga Springs. The station is within walking distance of downtown, though it is a good walk, but doable and along roads okay for walking. Cabs are available to get you downtown, and IIRC, a town bus has scheduled stops at the station as well. There is a decent amount to do in Saratoga Springs, and depepnding on when you go, you might want to consider riding the Saratoga & North Creek railway. Link here. If you do, just don't act like this guy, Link here, or you may never hear from your gf again after the trip! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha for some reason I couldn't stop thinking of Peter Griffin from Family Guy when I watched that video! Saratoga Springs definitely sounds like an alternative too. Thanks!

Also consider taking the Adirondack from NYP-Montreal! The scenery going up the Hudson to Albany is nice ( left side ) and the trip along Lake Champlain is a real joy! In the fall you see the trees changing colors and the Great Dome, Ocean View, is on the train!

Montreal is a fantastic International City that is just right for a weekend get away!

In the Summer (June to late Sept ) you can get off the Train in Port Kent,NY and ride the Ferry across to Burlington, VT., spend the night or a couple of days and and then ride the Vermonter back to New York!

Highly recommended!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go on the Adirondack and do not want to ride to Montreal, another option is to ride to/from Plattsburgh. When I took it a couple of years ago, the Best Western (although it was across town) offered free station pickup. :) There were 2 restaurants next door and a mall right behind the BW. And PLG is beyond the scenic part of the route.

I highly recommend the "circle" option of taking the Adirondack to Port Kent, ferry to Burlington, VT and then the Vermonter back to NYC. That's only doable in the summer (through the end of September/early October).

There isn't a whole lot to do in Rutland to be honest. Your best bet (just like what Davy Crocket said) is to rent a car, then your options become much much more numerous with tons of scenic drives around Vermont, along with quite a few attractions. If you ski or snowboard, then there are few places that are better to be than in central Vermont with easy access to Killington, and many other mountains within a short drive.

Those are both great ideas... I may have to schedule more than one trip on the Adirondack in the coming years :)

I highly recommend the "circle" option of taking the Adirondack to Port Kent, ferry to Burlington, VT and then the Vermonter back to NYC. That's only doable in the summer (through the end of September/early October).

There isn't a whole lot to do in Rutland to be honest. Your best bet (just like what Davy Crocket said) is to rent a car, then your options become much much more numerous with tons of scenic drives around Vermont, along with quite a few attractions. If you ski or snowboard, then there are few places that are better to be than in central Vermont with easy access to Killington, and many other mountains within a short drive.
For the circle route, do people usually get a room in Port Kent or Burlington? I noticed that the Vermonter leaves too early to make that a one day trip.

Rutland does not have much to offer, to be frank.  It's too big to be a charming town, yet not big enough to have what a city would offer.  

The best thing to do in Rutland is to rent a car and get out of Rutland.

Back