California private car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Steve

Can anybody direct me to where I might find info about any repositioning moves/charters departing from anywhere in CA/NV/WA/OR 8/18-8/25 timeframe?

Also, where I might find info about tourist trains in northern California (Oakland area).

Thanks for any help

This site has repositioning moves but none in your time frame.

AAPRCO members sometimes post moves on each car's website so requires some digging.

If you are looking for a budget PV experience, the deal of the country is in Los Angeles, look at San Diego weekends at LARAIL.com.

One of the more comprehensive sites for rail stuff, not well organized.

Ardenwood in Fremont has a horse-drawn train, also monarchs in season. Worth it for the monarchs and produce market, aside from the unique train. Nice place to hang out and relax with a picnic.

Redwood Valley Railway in Tilden Park (Berkeley). Haven't been up there for a while, there used to be a nice merry-go-round and some good swimming holes.

Niles Canyon Railway between Sunol and Niles (Fremont), much bigger operation and more traditional than the prior two, there is also a rail museum in the nicely restored Niles Depot, and they show silent films every Saturday night at the nearby history museum in downtown Niles. If you like depots, the Centerville Depot has also been restored.

Are you local or visiting? If visiting, you might want to go further afield depending on your interests and whether you'll have a car.

Back