Pullman Rail Journeys News: New availability on dates in 2014!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prech786

Train Attendant
Got this e-mail just today from Pullman Rail Journeys. Any info about the "Additional equipment added"?

Breaking News!

Additional equipment has been added and several departures that were sold out are now available: southbound in September and October and a few dates between August and October northbound.

Got this e-mail just today from Pullman Rail Journeys. Any info about the "Additional equipment added"?

Breaking News!

Additional equipment has been added and several departures that were sold out are now available: southbound in September and October and a few dates between August and October northbound.
Wish I knew. I get the strong feeling that Pullman is in a cost-control mode where they are deploying equipment to where it can make money and only running enough on CONO to satisfy commitments. I am a bit fearful about my upcoming trip.

The Chicago - New York runs are advertised as being on the "former route of the all-Pullman 20th Century Limited." I think that nails the speculation of which train they're talking about. The Lake Shore Limited will be tacking on a few more cars to the rear this winter.

But, there seems to be at least one routing via the Cardinal. Leaving Chicago on December 9th, Pullman Rail Journeys will provide rail transportation to the Greenbrier Resort, with the train then continuing to New York afterward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wanted to go to the Greenbriar.
Don't know if you're aware that Greenbriar used to be a Restricted/Segregated Resort, no Jews or Blacks allowed! ( similar to the Agusta National CC) It was and is a very expensive, exclusive resort for the " right kind of people"! I knew Jews in WAS who refused to go there even after the Restriction was lifted and the Federal Government had a Special Relationship with the place so Government Big Wigs could to go there in case of an Atomic Attacks on WAS or as a "get away" place for VIPs during the 40s and 50s! ( Politicians, Generals,Admirals, Wealthy Influence Peddlers etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was younger my grandmother always insisted our end of summer vacation be at the Concord. We went there every year until it closed in '98. Despite its considerable decrepitude it was to the day it closed an expensive resort for what my Grandmother thought was the right kind of people.

When it closed the only thing left up there was Kutschers and I guess that was a little too decrepit for her. I was planning on going there this year, finally. I was devastated when I found out it was razed in May. We found another place that used to be restricted called the Inn at Pocono Manor. I can't bring myself to be that racist, or to blame current residents for racism of another time.

Politics's aside, The Greenbriar is one of the top resort's in the world. I once rode Amtrak's Cardinal for a brief stay there in the late seventies. I was met at the WSS depot by a Greenbriar limo for the short ride up to the hotel entrance. Way above my normal vacation budget, but I was intrigued by its C&O ownership, and wanted to experience it just once. I love those old historic resorts and hotels....places like The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, The Breaker's in Palm Beach, the Del Coronado in San Diego, and the rustic styled grand lodges in the national parks.

The Greenbriar used to host an annual meeting of General Motor's top 750 executives for many years....they arrived there in several chartered trains of Pullman's from Detroit to the WSS depot....

Regarding the goverment "bunker", there is some detail on their website http://www.greenbrier.com/HomePage-Sub-Pages/YOUR-GREENBRIER/History.aspx

Sorry if my post was mistakingly taken as a racist one, I was just describing what I was told by Jewish friends when I lived in WAS.

Also these same folks would not buy German Cars, Cameras etc. Since the German Industries cooperated with Hitlers Racist War Machine! I have notixed GML's love of Mercedes- Benz which made a fortune off slave labor during the Reich! Some Veterans of WWII that served in the Pacific, including my late dad, felt the same way about products from Japan!

It was a different time for sure!

Times have changed....what kind of car do you think the Prime Minister of Israel rides in? Hint...it's not a Cadillac.... ;)

Israel has a long standing relationship with Mercedes-Benz, actually. Repayment of a debt that can never be paid, one executive once put it. Mercedes did a lot more than just use slave labor (that was actually more BMW). Many of the early death camps used carbon monoxide as the agent. They were designed and built by and used engines of.

But that was another generation. And if we can not forgive and move past the horrors of past, then the hatred remains and builds and the horror will happen again.

Back