Prairie View on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent

Conductor
I saw Amtrak #5(02) this evening at Agency, Iowa with the Iowa Pacific dome car Prairie View. The Zephyr was running about fifty minutes late. This was after being delayed about half and hour by going into emergency near Fairfield, Iowa. The cause was an air hose separation between the full dome and the car in front of it.

http://youtu.be/FpNAvkLC9rM

Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like someone in Chicago might have been in a hurry, and/or didn't do their job...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't be the first time an air hose was separated by hitting something on the track. In fact, the freight train behind this Amtrak went into emergency ten minutes before Amtrak did, although I didn't hear an exact cause in that case.

Wouldn't be the first time an air hose was separated by hitting something on the track. In fact, the freight train behind this Amtrak went into emergency ten minutes before Amtrak did, although I didn't hear an exact cause in that case.
Certainly. And you could well be right. My off-the-cuff thinking was that the PV's are added to the consist just before being backed into CUS, and that it was done in a hurry or haphazardly.

We'll be riding the Prairie View late September. The Friends of 261 are having their Fall Colors Steam Excursion from MSP to Duluth where we overnight before returning the next day.

They sold out their equipment in a flash. When the P V was added, I pounced. Now it is sold out.

We'll be riding the Prairie View late September. The Friends of 261 are having their Fall Colors Steam Excursion from MSP to Duluth where we overnight before returning the next day.

They sold out their equipment in a flash. When the P V was added, I pounced. Now it is sold out.
Enjoy! I took the same run aboard the Prairie View, along with fellow AUer NorthCoastHiawatha a year ago last May on the 261's re-inaugural run. The PV P.V. was a true pleasure to ride in!

Back