Pullman Rail Journeys going to seed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachSlumber

Lead Service Attendant
The Pullman service pulled by Amtrak has been discussed here in regards to how sometimes it is competitive with Amtrak sleeper fares on City of New Orleans. Now I wonder if Pullman Rail Journeys is on its last breath. Recent reviews on Trip Advisor have described abysmal service and minimal equipment--nothing like they used to run. The web site now basically describes nothing except the sleeping accommodations and the menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luxury rail service is an eternal money loser. It's possible that the one departure left in 2014 is because all others are sold out (the one departure is at highest bucket), but I'd be a bit surprised by that to tell the truth.

All of the 1 star TripAdvisor reviews complained about the same things and they were all from Europe.. I'm guessing they were on some sort of tour together and they were all led to believe that this was some sort of luxury train. Pullman is more about recreating the past then luxury. Obviously I do not know the details of the trip they were on but when I rode in March there were only 2 cars (sleeper, and the observation car which was used as a lounge and diner). Would I have loved to have the dome car? of course! but I had more than enough fun in the lovely club car and the open vestibules! I feel like that tour group had been sold on the dome car and the "luxury" service by the tour operator.... the reviews from people in the USA are much more accurate.

The website only shows available dates... on Pullman's facebook they are advertising a special from Chicago to Wisconsin in August, and they are running 3 roundtrips to NYC this fall. So they are up to quite alot.

I'm not saying it's going to work... but I sure am rooting for them!

Ive been impressed by the AU members trip reports that have taken this trip on bargain deals from NOL-CHI even though its not one of Amtraks Best LD Routes!

Of course the Dome Car would be nice but when the load is low its not feasible for money reasons to run a three car PV consist!

I too would like to ride on these cars but would rather be on the Cap Ltd, Card or LSL route! I hope they make it too, but do think that you should ride soon as you can if you can afford it and a trip works with your schedule!

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the 1 star TripAdvisor reviews complained about the same things and they were all from Europe.. I'm guessing they were on some sort of tour together and they were all led to believe that this was some sort of luxury train. Pullman is more about recreating the past then luxury. Obviously I do not know the details of the trip they were on but when I rode in March there were only 2 cars (sleeper, and the observation car which was used as a lounge and diner). Would I have loved to have the dome car? of course! but I had more than enough fun in the lovely club car and the open vestibules! I feel like that tour group had been sold on the dome car and the "luxury" service by the tour operator.... the reviews from people in the USA are much more accurate.

The website only shows available dates... on Pullman's facebook they are advertising a special from Chicago to Wisconsin in August, and they are running 3 roundtrips to NYC this fall. So they are up to quite alot.

I'm not saying it's going to work... but I sure am rooting for them!
I see now those were all from one tour group that seemed to have a bad time. I gather all the runs southbound are sold out so they must be doing ok.

I very much hope this service will be a success and that problems, if any, can get sorted soon.

Travellers expecting to get some sort of clone of the Orient Express should maybe compare the fares to those that Orient Express are charging.

It is thus unfair to compare these services on par.

I very much hope this service will be a success and that problems, if any, can get sorted soon.

Travellers expecting to get some sort of clone of the Orient Express should maybe compare the fares to those that Orient Express are charging.

Agreed. It did sound like this group was crammed into a pretty small space, though.

Agreed. It did sound like this group was crammed into a pretty small space, though.
If it was the same set of cars I rode in (Adirondack club car and Baton Rouge Sleeper) things would get a little tight with a group of more than 12. The lounge itself seats 12, and the "diner" portion of the lounge seats 12 in booths with an aditional side table that seats 2 sort of.

A Full Baton Rouge sleeper would be 22 passengers so yes.. it could be this group was in pretty crowded conditions.

By the way.. Pullman has the car diagrams on a Pintrest if your curious like I am...

http://www.pinterest.com/travelpullman/pullman-cars/

Back