Passenger Names on Ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jim55

Service Attendant
Would an infant (under 2) be required to be listed on the ticket? The AGR ticket agent said no. My wife thinks thats wrong. I talked to another agent and they said no since he is considered a "Lap baby". Anyone have first hand experience ? Thanks, Jim

Sorry, the teacher gene in me is showing dominance again. Does the conductor record in some way that the baby is on board? In a crash or other emergency, accurate records of all passengers on board are essential so that every person is accounted for and evacuated.

For field trips of any distance, even a few miles, students have to wear numbered bracelets, with lists of student names and numbers kept by their teacher, the bus driver, and the principal back at school. This for a big yellow school bus on main roads. Please tell me that Amtrak has a record of those babies on board.

Yes.

18. On-Board Passenger Record (NRPC 3085)

The Conductor or Assistant Conductor must receive

a completed “On-Board Passenger Record” (NRPC

3085) for any passenger or employee who has no

associated transportation to lift or does not appear on

the manifest, including passengers purchasing their

tickets on-board the train and passengers traveling

in a group whose name does not appear on the

manifest.The “On-Board Passenger Record” (NRPC

3085) is available in both a single or two-part version.

(Refer to Figure 8-35)

a) The “On-Board Passenger Record” (NRPC 3085)

is to be used on all reserved trains.

b) The Conductor will ensure all Assistant Conductors

have an ample supply of “On-Board Passenger

Records” (NRPC 3085). (Refer to Figure 8-35)

c) Supplies of these forms are available at all crew

base locations.

d) Some individuals may board with a completed

“On-Board Passenger Record” (NRPC 3085).

e) If individuals board without an “On-Board

Passenger Record” (NRPC 3085), the Conductor

or Assistant Conductor will provide a blank

“On-Board Passenger Record” (NRPC 3085) for

the individual to complete and return back to the

train crew.

f) The Conductor or Assistant Conductor must

ensure that all of the required information is

provided on the form, and must punch the form

upon completion in the lower right hand corner

to certify the record.

g) The Conductor is to place all completed “On-Board

Passenger Records” (NRPC 3085) in the “Train

Earnings Reports Envelope” (NRPC 158).

h) When the two-part version of an “On-Board

Passenger Record” (NRPC 3085) is used, the

yellow copy is not to be submitted to the station

and may be discarded or returned to the passenger.

i) The following persons may not be ticketed or listed

on the manifest’s passenger name list:

• Infants and small children

• Passengers purchasing tickets on-board

• Railroad officials

• Government officials

• Medical personnel

• Vendors and/or contractors

• Host railroad employees

• Amtrak police officer in uniform or plain

clothes

• Amtrak employee using a “Head-End/Train

Authorization Permit”

• Amtrak employee using a “Train Inspection

Permit”

• Amtrak employee using an Amtrak

“Temporary Train Authorization Permit”

(NRPC 2889)

• Individual working for a Municipal, State or

Federal Regulatory Agency

j) All Amtrak employees on business, deadheading

(to or from work) or personal travel must have a

ticket or must complete an “On-Board Passenger

Record” (NRPC 3085). For those employees

boarding at stations that are closed, the Conductor

or Assistant Conductor must receive a completed

“On-Board Passenger Record” (NRPC 3085)

from the employee.

k) All Amtrak employees and pass riders must

provide valid Amtrak photo identification.

l) All private car owners are required to have an

“On-Board Passenger Record” (NRPC 3085)

completed for each person traveling if a “Private

Car Passenger Record” (NRPC 3160) is not

available. Also, each person traveling must

provide a valid photo identification.

m) An “On-Board Passenger Record” (NRPC 3085)

must be completed for each individual providing

commentary on-board the train. Those guides

currently authorized include:

• National Park Service (through Trails and Rails)

• California State Railroad Museum

• Train Host Association

• Native American

All guides must present a valid form of photo

identification, valid identification for the

organization they are representing, and give

the signed “On-Board Passenger Record”

(NRPC 3085) to either the Conductor or

Assistant Conductor at the time of boarding. If

the on-board guide does not have an “On-Board

Passenger Record” (NRPC 3085) the Conductor

or Assistant Conductor must provide one and

ensure that it is properly filled out and signed.

I would hope, and suspect there is an electronic way to record non-ticketed passengers. The days of paper, punches, yellow copies and envelopes should be long gone.

I know that the new eTicket iPod Docks have swipe readers that are only used (it appears) to scan the IDs of employees commuting on the train, I've seen this plenty of times. The conductor going up to employees (that don't require reservations), the employee hands over their ID and scans it as the conductor asks "Where to?" and hands the ID badge back.

The situation I've always been curious about is taking a lap-infant transborder. In those situations especially you would think the baby (and the baby's Passport information) would need to be on the manifest for when CBP or CSBD do their pre-screening on the manifest. I shared a meal in the diner on the northbound Coast Starlight once with a Canadian couple and their baby heading back to Vancouver, BC. I asked them about the ticketing question I've been curious about but they were spending a few days in Portland and Seattle heading north and hadn't purchased their transboarder tickets back home (and flew down to start their trip) and of course didn't know.

When you buy tickets, you list your infant's name (and AGR#!) along with the adults. If you're buying tickets that cross the border, you list your infant's name and identification type/place of issueID#/etc just as you do for adults.

I would have to say the AGR reps were wrong, but that it also won't actually be a problem (unless the train crosses the border to Canada)- the conductor will just have to deal with it.

Sorry, the teacher gene in me is showing dominance again. Does the conductor record in some way that the baby is on board? In a crash or other emergency, accurate records of all passengers on board are essential so that every person is accounted for and evacuated.

For field trips of any distance, even a few miles, students have to wear numbered bracelets, with lists of student names and numbers kept by their teacher, the bus driver, and the principal back at school. This for a big yellow school bus on main roads. Please tell me that Amtrak has a record of those babies on board.
Talk about overprotective silliness.

When you buy tickets, you list your infant's name (and AGR#!) along with the adults. If you're buying tickets that cross the border, you list your infant's name and identification type/place of issueID#/etc just as you do for adults.

I would have to say the AGR reps were wrong, but that it also won't actually be a problem (unless the train crosses the border to Canada)- the conductor will just have to deal with it.
How do infants earn AGR points if they travel for free? Or have you been buying extra seats for your infants?

Talk about overprotective silliness.
Good morning, GML!

In a way, I can almost agree with you, and certainly understand your statement. For decades, we took field trips without bracelets and never had an incident. Actually, never had an accident of any kind, other than a scraped knee or such, and never once lost track of a child. That, however, does not mean that accidents can't or won't ever happen.

In the rare case of some kind of horrible crash or other emergency, it really is very important that all children be accounted for, and identified. Think train hits school bus, explosion and fire near school bus, things of that magnitude with the adults unconscious or dead. Students carry no ID with them, only the bracelets. Imagine one of the awful scenarios and you are one of the parents. You would desperately want to know the location and status of your child. Statistically very unlikely to happen, but it's like the lion/gazelle thing that was mentioned in another thread. IF it happens, those little bracelets would be priceless. And they are very little bother to use even in a classroom full of excited seven year olds. Bottom line, I think it's a good idea.

Why do I think you thought that would be my answer? ;) I like you, GML!

As for having numbers instead of names on the bracelets, that goes partially to ease of use and partially to the stranger-danger thing, but let's not even go there!

Relating to Amtrak, of course those babies and toddlers need to be included on the manifest and accounted for in an emergency situation. It's still surprising to me that their names aren't included on the reservations or tickets in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you buy tickets, you list your infant's name (and AGR#!) along with the adults.
How do infants earn AGR points if they travel for free? Or have you been buying extra seats for your infants?

Noting it by putting it in parentheses and with an exclamation point was meant to indicate my own surprise and vague confusion at the situation... maybe the 100-point minimum applies... (but I doubt it).

I only ever traveled with an under-2 once (or, hm, maybe twice), more than 7 years ago, and she did not yet have an AGR# (neither did I. I wasted my first several trips before I wised up!). My post above was made after running dummy reservations on amtrak.com to see what information it asks for.

There is a way for the Conductor to record infants, people who purchase tickets on board, groups, employees not part of the crew, and commuter cross honor tickets into their iPhone. On Long Distance trains where there is an attendant doing a seating diagram they typically also count the infants as an additional cross check.

Green Maned Lion, there is NOTHING overprotective or silly about accounting for every person on a train, plane, ship, or bus. If it was your loved one that went unaccounted for in an accident you'd be suing someone for leaving them behind. There's no reason not to account for everyone, especially the youngest among us.

They should. When I was 6 (24 years ago!) I had a wallet with a little money, an ID car with my picture and name, my parents names, and my home address. I also had a small Casio digital wristwatch with an alarm, a countdown timer, and a stop watch, and when my mother said be home by 2:30, god help me if I wasn't home when that watch said 2:30.

I wasn't a mature kid. Infact I had ADHD and I wasn't even medicated for it yet. All children old enough to go to school should have a watch (or other timepiece) and a wallet and should be able to use both properly.

But they don't.

And schools can't require that they do. And even if they did require it, some of them wouldn't. And some of the ones who did would lose them.

And parents would yell at teachers over the lost wallets. :help:

I feel qualified to say, "The little bracelets are better."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back