The Passing of a Friend!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
It is with great regret and a heavy heart that I must tell all that long time AU member and former Gathering Committee member Patrick (WhoozOn1st) has passed away. :(

Patrick caught his train ride to heaven early Thursday morning the 1st of May just hours after returning home from a road trip with Alice, his Executive Assistant :lol: , that saw them visiting several train related places. A few highlights of the trip had been: "Donkey Days" in Eureka with steam donkeys and a beautifully restored Falk logging engine pulling an open car. In fact, he took his final ride while sitting at a desk indulging in one of his other favorite things in life, editing & sorting the very photos of trains that he'd just taken on that last trip with Alice.

As many here know, Patrick was an avid photographer (in addition to being a huge rail fan) and he spent many hours compiling & editing his photos before lovingly posting them here on AU for all to enjoy.

Some here I believe already do know that Patrick had been fighting Cancer for the past few years; but sadly he lost that battle on Thursday. Thankfully he managed to get in one last trip to indulge in his love of trains before he lost the battle!

Please join me in expressing your condolences; memories; and stories about Patrick. I'm sure that they will help to provide some comfort to those who knew Patrick. And maybe Alice can even pass some of them on to Patrick's family.

I'm glad that I got to know Patrick and to have taken many a train ride with him! :)

To our good friend, Patrick, Happy riding! You will be missed!

msg-252-0-38520900-1399140808.jpg

(photo by MrFSS)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm awfully sorry to hear this. I never had the opportunity to meet Patrick in person, but I always enjoyed his posts, photos and his tales of adventures on the road with Alice. My condolences to Alice and his family. He will be missed on Amtrak Unlimited.

It was a great pleasure meeting Patrick at the 2012 gathering. I remember Alan and I franticly trying to find Patrick and Alice after our ride back to Philly from Wilmington. While eating lunch that day at the "market" where we had a great conversation! I remember him telling me he enjoyed reading my posts. Which felt amazing to get such a great comment from someone like Patrick. I always enjoyed reading Patricks posts. Patrick was a great guy who I have the upmost respect for.

Losing Patrick is a huge loss to AU and the rail fanning community.

I first met Patrick in 2008 riding a Surfliner into LAUS from Santa Barbara. We had communicated with each other for quite some time, but I was really excited to meet him in person. He graciously took time to spend an afternoon showing MrsFSS and me around the city he loved! I will treasure that time and the several more "meets" we had at various Gatherings around the country.

Patrick, we will miss you!

image.jpg

A tip of the fez to Patrick and condolences to Alice and his family!

Patrick really loved trains, photography, travel and music!

There will be some really cool t-shirts worn in paradise now and as the song said: "Well meet again on the avenue!"Bob Dylan

My condolences to Alice and to Patrick's family. Patrick will be missed.

My deepest condolences to Patrick's family and friends. I regret never having the chance to meet him in person, but always enjoyed seeing his posts here on the forums.

That's awful. I extend my heartfelt condolences to Patrick and his family. He was one of the people I had been interested I meeting if I ever got a chance to make an au gathering.

Last edited by a moderator:
And This will be the Patrick I will keep in My Heart forever

IMGP8141-M.jpg

Aloha Patrick, till we meet again on a Heavenly Train.

Back