Blue Line CTA derails at O'Hare

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More like "CTA train plows over bumper post, attempts to climb escalator":

10154554_10100129211263367_487253508_n.jpg

Maybe the train was as sick of winter as I am and was looking to catch a flight to somewhere warmer.

All joking aside, best wishes for a speedy recovery to those hurt and that the CTA can track down how this happened so that it doesn't happen again.

Had this occurred at any other time of day, it would have been disasterous, just from a standpoint of hitting many people on the platform and stairs.

Dozens injured in train derailment at O'Hare airport
At least 32 people were injured, none seriously, when an eight-car train crashed through a barrier at the end of the platform and jumped up an escalator at O'Hare International Airport on Monday, according to Chicago's Transit Authority.

Six people were listed in fair condition and 26 in good condition at three area hospitals, according to fire officials. None of the injuries are believed to be life-threatening.

The train derailed around 2:50 a.m. CT as it was pulling into the O'Hare station, Chicago Fire Commissioner Jose Santiago said at a morning briefing....

Service on the Blue Line was still suspended between O'Hare and Rosemont as the morning commute began, according to transit authority alerts. Buses were being used to get passengers to and from the airport.

I've flown into this airport many times and taken the Blue Line many times. How very lucky that nobody was killed.

It almost seems as if the severity of this accident is being downplayed locally since there were no serious injuries. The biggest concern is almost portrayed as, "So, how long will it take to get trains up and running again?"

Last edited by a moderator:
"No, no, no! I told you they come into the train station, not the airport!"

"But this is the train station! In the airport!"

(Ok, Silver Streak jokes aside, a speedy recovery to those hurt and many thanks this wasn't more serious)

I am glad there were no fatalities! In light of that, I think a light hearted movie reference is called for...

"That escalated quickly!" - Ron Burgundy

I firmly believe that had it not been 3am this accident wouldn't have happened. That train had to be absolutely flying to get that far past the post. I hope it doesn't turn out that the operator fell asleep, but I don't really see any other way.

It's definitely not going to be an easy cleanup, that's for sure!

Couldn't an operator have fallen asleep any other time of day, also?

7 A.M. at the end of a long all night shift or 7 P.M. on a day with short sleep could be just as dangerous.

A sleeping operator certainly seems to be a logical guess, but are there really no safeguards for that? A dead man's switch, for instance? The train

would have had quite a lot of speed to make it that far "up" so if the operator simply fell asleep approaching the station, you'd think the train would have

simply stopped short of the platform. Could the operator have slumped onto the throttle? (Obviously I'm not familiar with the controls of a CTA train)

A sleeping operator certainly seems to be a logical guess, but are there really no safeguards for that? A dead man's switch, for instance?
Anytime something like this happens, I marvel at both the remarkable technological progress we've made as a society, and the glaring lack of applications of it. There is no greater impetus of change than a tragedy that could have been avoided.

News reports are now indicating that the operator, indeed, has admitted to nodding off.

One would think that cab signal controls coupled with track trips should have seriously slowed the train. What fascinates me is the way in which the train jumped the track rather than tearing through the bumper. It almost seems similar to the tragic late 70s Loop accident where is wasn't the initial train crash, but the repeated application of power that caused the forces to recoil and knock the train off its tracks. Could this train have been initially stopped by the bumper, lurched briefly back and the first car gotten forced airborne by the continued power stream from rear cars attempting to still progress?

As to a crane, talk is that the car will be cut up and removed in pieces. Perhaps a track crane could assist?

I'm 90% sure that the CTA cars do have a sort of dead man's switch. If I recall correctly, it detects if you lift your hand off of the power handle, and will eventually put the train into a penalty.

I agree that this type of accident can happen no matter what time of day, but with 7 years experience in the railroad industry I can tell you that 2-6am are far and away the most dangerous times of day. Even with adequate sleep it can be VERY hard to stay awake during that time frame.

Cab signals will enforce a certain maximum speed, but they can not automatically stop a train. I'm not sure how CTA cab signals are set up, but on Metra the most restrictive cab signal will still allow you to go 20mph no matter what. Only PTC can stop a train, and I have yet to see a PTC system that works 100% as it is intended to.

And, admittedly, an operator can put the train into bypass, also, to get around the cab signals and related penalties. I had assumed, however (based upon hearing the warning signals many times in terminal areas and short blocks such as exist downtown), perhaps errantly, that much more restrictive speed restrictions were available in such situations.

When did they move away from dead man throttles? The old 6000 series cars had them, no?

I was starting to wonder about the possibility of a suicide attempt on the part of the train operator.

It was interesting that the union rep essentially admitted that safety equipment can not be trusted to be 100% protective or fail safe and safe operation essentially is ultimately dependent upon the operator.

As to a crane, talk is that the car will be cut up and removed in pieces. Perhaps a track crane could assist?
From Trains News Wire:

"The train was wedged near the top of escalator, and first responders did not know if there was anyone underneath the train. They brought in specialized units to check under it, but no one was found. CTA spokesman Brian Steele said workers might have to cut up the car and remove it piece by piece, which could take 12 to 24 hours. Then the damage will have to be assessed and repairs made before trains can use the station, he said."

I'll make a wild guess that "damage will have to be assessed and repairs made before trains can use the station" means damage and repairs to the station. Somehow I just don't see them trying to weld the dismembered car back together and roll it out of there. :D

Also an access note:

"Blue Line service to O’Hare is stopped at the Rosemont station. Steele says the agency is using articulated buses between Rosemont and O’Hare that are operating on a load-and-go basis instead of on a schedule."

A sleeping operator certainly seems to be a logical guess, but are there really no safeguards for that? A dead man's switch, for instance? The train

would have had quite a lot of speed to make it that far "up" so if the operator simply fell asleep approaching the station, you'd think the train would have

simply stopped short of the platform. Could the operator have slumped onto the throttle? (Obviously I'm not familiar with the controls of a CTA train)
Wasn't there recently also an incident in which a Blue Line train ran away from the car barn without anybody on board?

This would indeed suggest that the safeguard / deadman's switch system is not foolproof.

One of my favorite little tidbits about this incident is the notice which CTA put up on their website shortly after the incident:

Length:Monday, March 24, 2014 - 5:40 AM
to TBD

Impact Level:Elevator Status
Full Description:
The elevator at O'Hare (Blue Line) is temporarily out-of-service.

Wasn't there recently also an incident in which a Blue Line train ran away from the car barn without anybody on board?

This would indeed suggest that the safeguard / deadman's switch system is not foolproof.
Yes.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-10-03/news/ct-met-blue-line-investigation-1003-20131003_1_cta-rail-employees-in-service-train-harlem-station

I am somewhat surprised that there were as many as 32 people around at 3 AM to be injured. Or, are the CTA trains like many of the "Night Owl" bus routes here in the San Francisco area that homeless people are allowed to use as "moving hotels" -- so long as they pay the regular fares?

Back