Results of my Field Trip: 3/15/14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
The field trip with 55 7th Graders was a success. The kids really enjoyed the experience of riding the train; for some it was their first train ride. I have to say "great job" to the Crew on Train #662 (to Philadelphia). There was a snafu in that they were never notified that my group of 69 people was coming on at E-Town. However, once we were onboard, the Conductors politely ushered us into the Quiet Car (the last car of the train). Although the passengers already in the car (just a couple) weren't too pleased with us being there (they gave us nasty looks), they did move to another car. The Conductors then "blocked off" our car.

The trip home was much better planned. They had an Amtrak manager meet us near the stairwell #7, and we were allowed to preboard, and we had our own car. This was great, because the #667 ended up being standing-room only when we left Philly. I felt bad for the passengers who had to stand in the other cars, but I guess that's what happens when a train is unreserved.

Great idea, gets kids tuned in to public transport. Going back a few years, another teacher and I took a similar size group of Fifth Graders on a week-long camp. We took a hired bus to the train station, then a journey of about two hours by train, and then another hired bus to our destination. As we all know, 55 children are not likely to be quiet, so my fellow teacher and I were very amused to watch a passenger board our car (it had two levels and we were downstairs) and spend quite a while deciding whether to go upstairs (no kids and peaceful) or join us downstairs (reasonably well-behaved kids, but loud). We didn't think that anyone would stop even think about it. More recently, I have taken 3rd graders to Taronga Zoo on Sydney Harbour, using train (regional), another train (underground), ferry and then public bus. Did this yearly for about 6 years and never lost anyone. The cost to families was minimal and kids learned lots about public transport. I find that if children are taken places by bus/coach, if there are curtains, they tend to draw them across and never even look out of the windows.

So start planning for the next trip, Oreius!

So sad to think of kids just not looking out at the new views outside their windows. They say the world is getting smaller, odd to think that for many youngsters it has shrunk to the exact size of their handheld device!

Ed :cool:

Our last trip eastbound on the EB was a joy when we arrived in Kalispell, Mt and a large group of 5th graders boarded on a field trip through Glacier National Park. A couple of the girls came to sit with us in the lounge car and we helped them with their assignment: "write down everything you see out the window and describe how it is important to the park." They were pretty sharp kids and wife and I enjoyed talking to them along the way. The teacher and chaps were good at keeping track of the students and making sure they were on task.

Some of the lounge patrons left when they came in, but I think they missed a great opportunity to be around some intelligent young kids enjoying a train ride. We said goodbye to the kids when we reached Browning, where a bus was waiting to take them back home.

As a former teacher and principal, I know that kids will keep you young at heart and spirit. :)

Back